Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCole
kdill, that's very interesting, it sounds a bit like Traditional Foods. I would totally do that if I could tolerate those carb levels.

doctork, I gained all my weight while in the Army. When I hit 130lbs (64" tall), I saw a nutritionist who started me on LF >1500kcal/day and a food diary which I was very strict about. On my own, I started swimming again, 2 miles a day every afternoon, 6 days a week. I was still running PT 4 days a week, and I started running on saturdays. I was also going to the field regularly, which if you've ever been in the Army you know it's very physical. All this lead to me being 185lbs. I know some was muscle, but trust me, alot of it was jiggly. I think if I had just stopped drinking sugar I would have gone right back down to 120ish.

I am very often offended by this notion that we are less active therefor fatter. It was not true with me, it does not explain the explosion of Obesity since the LF recommendations came out in the late 70's , and it does not explain the proliferation of the work out culture since the 70's. The department of agriculture charts on vegetable fat consumption in the 20th c (it went up, alot) and animal fat consumption in the 20th c (it went down, alot) are very instructive. I defer to GCBC and Weston A Price.

Being an Army vet myself I can understand the pressure you were under to make weight. Believe it or not, many vets suffer from various types of endocrine disruption. --- For a while it appeared that I had insulin resistance and the ever popular metabolic syndrome, which led me to low carb. LC did a very good job of masking the symptoms of the real issue, which for me was a screwed up pituitary gland, combined with Vit D deficiency. Corrected pituitary issue, and added supplimnetal Vit D and suddenly everything worked like it was supposed to. May be you have some type of endocrine disruption, maybe you don't, but if your insurance, if you have any, will cover it, its worth a look.