Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCole
kdill, carbohydrate consumption is very much affected by what you eat it with. Think about people 100 years ago. They were eating biscuits and corn and potatoes, etc. But they were not as obese as a whole, and had far less heart disease and cancer, etc. I would argue that the big difference between diet now and diet then is fat. Fat was natural, saturated, and from animals. And our Grandparents at a lot of it. Now, we (not us, them) eat less and what we eat is unsaturated and too high in Omega 6. Not only is it amplifying the negative affects of sugar, but it promotes inflammation all on its own (GCBC).

If you are zoning, you are eating carbs that have less effect on your blood glucose with meat, which also slows the effect of carbs on blood glucose. So you are probabley never circulating toxic levels of blood glucose. It's great that this is what works for you, my family eat the same way, but with a Weston A Price influence. I eat this way occasionally, but I FEEL best and will only lose on a ketogenic diet. But then again, I am a peri-menopausal 42 yo woman. Are you? I would bet that I am in the catagory which finds weight loss the most difficult (dammit).

Also, did you actually have blood work while on a ketogenic diet, as defined by VLC, HF, Adequate protein, for comparison?

No I am a 40-something male, who lifts weights and rides a bicycle, often for 40 or 50 miles at a time during better weather. I lift for health, but I ride the bike because I like it.

Yes, I've had blood taken under various diet conditions. One of the perks of some of the places I've worked.

I actually have a lot of respect for WPF, Mary Enig was one of my professors many years ago. She's a loon, but really smart. Which is one of the reasons I call what I do "Zone Good Enough", because I don't adhere to the recommendations to only eat unsaturated fat.