View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-09, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Have you checked your omega 3, vitamin d, magnesium status?

Your brain requires adequate amounts of all of the above and it is extremely common, in fact probably always the case that people who are depressed are vitamin d3, omega 3 and magnesium deficient.

These 5000iu are d3 in a Medium Chain Triglyceride oil so should work quite well. but there are a range I use the Country life $14.98 360 ones but they are currently out of stock but as everyone needs to supplement in winter you may as well buy the largest most economical pack you can find. Bear in mind that Vitamin D deficiency is almost always found in people with PCOS and that correcting vitamin D deficiency increases fertility so take more care if you don't want to become pregnant.

for omega 3 I'd suggest something like this but you may prefer a liquid fish oil concentrate that works out cheaper.

Magnesium Malate is a reasonable form of magnesium

Another way of improving mood is to use 5 htp They also seem to work as an appetite supressor so you may find they cut your cravings. Some people take them at night together with melatonin to help improve quality of sleep.

I really don't think the people who wrote that article understand how the brain works. Most people on a low carb diet INCREASE their intake of fat, Coconut oil is a favourite here but increased use of butter, lard are also common. Your brain is geared to burn fat as it's preferred fuel. It's only because we overconsume carbs that the brain is forced to burn glucose. Our DNA evolved in a low carbohydrate environment no farming no grains no flour no sugar or only occasionally, In order to be quickwitted enough and sufficiently concentrated to follow track and hunt down the next meal we have to be capable of brains functioning best when hungry and short of food and this is when our brains require a fat based fuel.

Brains work better, not worse on a low carbohydrate diet providing you consume more oil, MCT oil or coconut oil are the most likely to improve brain function. Dr McCleary has written a lot on low carb and ketones as the ideal fuel for the brain

If you haven't used IHERB before ~~~~~~ saves you $5.