View Single Post
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 08:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

It comes down to the best hope for anyone getting off insulin is a T2 in their early years, such as myself and that I finally gain the discipline to manage my weight, which I believe is the culprit of many of my maladies.

I started insulin very quickly to preserve what I have left in terms of a functional pancreas.

I am giving it a rest. Hopefully, as I finally get my act together and get my weight down, I will get off of insulin and/or dramatically reduce my needs and live a healthier and happier life.

Right now, I am in the midst of "going for a Lap Band". I have attended my first support group and quite frankly I came back a bit discouraged. No matter what, one must commit to a lifestyle change to gain completed control of your weight and eliminate all the negative factors that being obese has caused; I have caused.

I even listened to people who essentially defeated the gastric bypass simply because they refused to change their lifestyle and now were back for a "revision procedure" and lap band. I also saw many successes.

So, I continue my journey for longer life; afterall that is what we are talking about here, be it based on Dr. Bernstein or others we are here trying to extend life and live it to its fullest.

I also believe science will someday come up with a way to restore pancreatic function whether it be from stem cell research or what. There are research projects underway with this in mind. I am speaking not from any direct knowledge but I do pick up snippets now and then that something is going on in this area. So I am hopeful.

But again, it gets back to the awful lifestyle that I have chosen and perhaps others have chosen that have led to high blood pressure, sleep apnea and finally T2 diabetes along with a bit of heart disease. We get what we soe. Is that the way you spell soe???

Now, I also know there are many that are diabetic here for other reasons other than too much weight so there are other populations besides the obese. So many of you have followed a good lifestyle, diet, etc., but are still victims of this disease.

Best wishes,

Ralph