#50   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 13:05

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
Congrats on your success! I am Type 1 and low carbing has helped me to reduce my insulin requirements, too. I'm sorry to report that your DVD is wrong, however, about Type 1's "getting off insulin." And the nurse you spoke to will *die* without basal insulin. Type 1s need basal, or background, insulin, AND bolus, or food based insulin. No matter what you do foodwise you will still need that basal. I manage that basal, and the small amount I take for low carb foods with an insulin pump quite nicely. I find it frightening that any program would suggest a Type 1 could go off insulin entirely. It would mean certain death.

I have to agree with v-effect here. My b/f is T1 and has been since he is 4 years old. There is no way he could ever go off his insulin because his pancreas doesn't produce insulin anymore (or, very very little if it does). Even if he decided to eat 0 carbs/starches/sugars and only eat protein and veggies for the rest of his life.....he would still need his basal insulin to counter-act the breakdown of his foods turning to glucose in his body (protein, included).

I do, however, believe T2's can reverse or become non-insulin dependent through diet/exercise though.