#7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 05:24

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
I quit smoking once before, years ago-more than 11) and did it cold turkey. I guess I would have to say that honestly, I am more concerned about dropping some lbs. first. I figure that I can at least cut back>that will at least help. It took a lot of willpower the first time and with the extra stress I've got going right now, I dont see it happening. I tried taking meds to quit smoking a year ago-they made me ill, so had to stop. I'll get there. I have been smoking since I was 13 (now 35), only stopped when I was preg. with each of my children, then stopped for several years..when my xh walked out 3 years ago, I started up again and just cant seem to stop-its always been a stress thing for me.

I can recommend the book by Allen Carr, "The only way to stop smoking permanently". That got me off the smokes for good and it didn't take an ounce of willpower to do so!

Mind you, I bought it and didn't read it until it had been sitting on my windowsill looking at me accusingly for 6 months....

From the sounds of it, your main goal at the moment is to slim down for your wedding. Focus on that, try and keep the smoking to a minimum, and then, when you're happily married, losing weight but not on a starvation diet, you'll be able to sit down and read Allen Carr.

Good luck! You can do it! Your biog sounds similar to mine - I smoked from age 16 onwards, stopped for 2 pregnancies and breastfeeding, but got back on the smokes eventually. Gave up when my youngest daughter was one and a half years old. And have never looked back for a minute!

I did it mostly for my kids - they are the best motivators!!!

amanda