View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 06:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:
Default Smoking cravings replacing carb cravings?

I quit smoking nearly 20 years ago. I stopped cold when I relocated to a new place/climate and never restarted. I wasn't a very heavy smoker and didn't even like it that much, it was a habit I picked up from my European-born boyfriend.

Occasionally over the years I've had sharp, short-lived cravings for a cigarette when I was very stressed or my serotonin levels were low. But I'm revolted by the smell of cigarette smoke and never picked one up again.

After six months of low-carbing, I no longer suffer carb cravings. But the past few weeks (which have also been very stressful, with an unexpected move and major lifestyle change), I'm suddenly plagued by cigarette cravings. I even had a dream last night that I was smoking again. I know my serotonin must be low and I'm doing some things to remedy that, but I'm really worried. I truly don't want to start smoking again! My dad has lung cancer and even though he did quit smoking years ago he was a heavy smoker for most of his adult life. I also live in a city that's behind the times on nonsmoking bans in restaurants, etc., and there are so many heavy smokers here; I think I may be picking up on that too.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this resurgence of cigarette cravings after a while on LC and how they've handled it. What's bothering me is that these are CRAVINGS, I don't really want cigarettes but something in my brain is hardwired to crave them. I can ride out the cravings but maybe there are other things I can do. I read somewhere that sunflower seeds "fill up" the nicotine receptors in the brain and so I may try eating some and see if that works.

Clearly with ongoing progress LCing I don't want to self-medicate with carbs either. I guess I'm looking for solutions at this stage so I don't start binging on carbs OR cigs!
Sponsored Links