#53   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/122/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Unfortunately, he does seem to be missing the point about bodyfat loss (as a distinct metabolic progression from just not gaining ) and low carb dieting a bit. Five years of a low carb dietary approach (which I can't see any reason to ever stop) , avidly reading and participating in this forum, and reading every comment and study on low carb I can find gives me a clear impression that on low carb, you won't gain even if you do consume more energy than your body expends (the fat storage conducive hormonal environment thing). But equally (and this is so important), even on low carb , you won't lose (bodyfat) unless you expend more energy than you consume. Low carb definitely helps reduce the calories you consume, and I've no doubt whatsoever that he is right that in most people exercising does tend to increase appetite. Here again he's rather missing the wood for the trees. One type of exercise, HIIT, burns calories long after the actual exercise is over, and is much more likely to result in a net reduction in calories (from the exercise bit, ie. taking into account the appetite factor).

Stuart

So, what do you think the 60 lbs that I've lost were if not fat? I haven't been able to exercise at all for many years now. It also wasn't from fewer calories, I eat all the time now.
glennette