Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Perhaps the very reason Taubes didn't mention that point is that he's a science journalist, and there are no studies that show exactly that point? By that, I mean that the doctors mentioned all have lots of anecdotal evidence of it, but has anyone conducted double blind research (or whatever it's called - I'm obviously not a scientist) to confirm all this anecdotal evidence?

The thing is that not only do we have a lot of anecdotal evidence that people can avoid weight gain on low carb, even when consuming massive amounts of fat calories, there is also some anecdotal evidence that some people still lose when consuming far more calories than they can consume while still losing weight on a low fat, calorie controlled diet.

Yes I think it's a great pity that the meticulously kept records of low carb clinicians aren't considered at least as compelling as the badly designed, short term, and woefully misinterpreted clinical 'studies' that poor Gary had to rely on for his research. And as for epidemiological studies, meta-analyses or otherwise, I've got no idea why anyone even bothers to notice them, apart from being hoodwinked by truly olympian statistical gymnastics and the need to employ a lot of 'highly qualified' statisticians.

And Cal, there are definitely reports like Diedra's, no doubt about it. But it's interesting that you choose the word 'lots' (of anecdotal evidence) to describe the frequency of no bodyfat gain in the context of a low carb calorie surplus, but 'some' to describe the incidence of LC calorie surplus bodyfat loss. If you read this forum as carefully as I have done over the last five years it is simply impossible to come to any other conclusion that they the 'some' is in fact very rare indeed. Who knows whether there is some metabolic mechanism that makes these rare reported cases of weight loss in the context of a calorie surplus anything but. I would tend to look there before started believing that these rare cases mean that it must be so....please, I sooooo want to believe it....

One thing is for sure, the low carb clinicians who earn there bread and butter doing this stuff don't believe it is anything more than a reporting over/under sight, or believe me, we would certainly know about it.

Low carb diets help people to eat less because they aren't as hungry. There is considerable evidence that the health consequences of overeating both fat and protein aren't as dire as overeating carbohydrate. And overeating fat if you eat much carbohydrate will almost certainly result in bodyfat gain which also carries its own health risks and aesthetic/quality of life penalty. And if you the less eating you do brings you into a calorie deficit, you will lose bodyfat, low carb or not. You have to get energy from somewhere, if bodyfat is the only energy available that's where it will come from.

And a very few, very unlucky people will use both dietary protein and muscle for energy before they release any energy from adipocytes. For them cyclical high fat, always low carb diets in the context of adequate protein are probably the best way to get the fat burning enzyme machinery humming along with dietary fat, and then reduce fat calories to EFA minimums, while keeping carbs low all the time. The initial high fat will not tend to be stored for reasons that both Gary Taubes, you and I are obviously in complete agreement about.

But Cal, can you see that a calorie deficit is still absolutely non negotiable for bodyfat burning?

Stuart