View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 13:32

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
'Pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, beer - these were the foods my mother's generation believed were fattening. If you went on a diet 50 years ago, that's what you gave up. '

Bingo!

I was just a chlid at the time, but I fully remember hearing those in my family who were trying to lose weight talking about not eating the starchy foods and desserts.

Before I learned that the research was being twisted to point the finger at fat in our diet and they started really pushing massive quantities of carbs on us, I had assumed that fats were blamed because of their association with carby foods.

~Potatoes, topped with butter, sour cream, gravy, or deep fried
~Pasta served with cheese sauces, olive oil and cheese laced tomato sauces
~Pizza crust topped with olive oil laced sauce, cheese, pepperoni, hamburger, and sausage
~Bread toasted and slathered with butter, or made into sandwiches slathered with butter or mayo, or as dinner rolls, again with at least one generous pat of butter on each one.
~Cookies made with butter, with chocolate chips and nuts or sandwich cookies with cream filling
~Cakes made with real butter, topped with buttercream frosting
~Various baked goods, such as southern biscuits made with lard, and buttered, or served as ham or sausage biscuits, sticky buns or cinnamon buns with butter or lard in the dough, and more butter used to create the "sticky" cinnamon and nut layers and toppings, etc

It was common knowledge back when I was a kid that it was the bread, noodles/pasta and potatoes that were making you fat.

Sometimes I can't believe we fell for the you are what you eat/fat makes you fat nonsense.