Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 15:03
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety009
Hi.. i was told i had PCOS when i was 16.. (now i`m 18).. back then i had 65 kg at 1.68m.. i was prescribed some birth control pills (diane 35 and spironolacton) which i took regularly for 9 months.. after i stopped using them my period just stopped..
Basically it has been 6-7 months since i hadn`t had my period.. i`m starting to worry.. i went at the doctor and he said to keep taking the pills.. but.. if i keep taking them .. wouldn`t i go back to where i started.. ?
From what i understand.. birth control pills are hormone .. by feeding the body with hormones... he simply forgot how to produce them anymore.. correct? don`t i want my body to learn how to do them again?
My mom says that if by january my period doesn`t come.. we`ll go to the doctor.. but i don`t want to start taking pills again.. that`s why i started low carbing.. i heard it might help. Now i`m 50kg at 1.72m.. I actually want to gain some weight now.. about 5kg.. but that`s not my main concern.. i just want to have my period back..

Any input.??

(sorry if my english isn`t the best.. i`m from europe)

thanks

You probably need to go see a reproductive endocrinologist to get an accurate diagnosis and make sure the ovulatory dysfunction is from the PCOS and not something else (like being underweight or a problem in your hypothalmus).

The birth control pills are an effective way to keep your periods regular - not because you're ovulating, but because they stimulate your body to shed the endometrial lining each month when you reach the inactive pills.....going too long without a period isn't good since the endometrial lining gets too thick and can cause other problems - that's why many prescribe birth control pills in those with PCOS - but they don't make PCOS go away, they just relieve the problem of excessive buildup of the endometrial lining.

Please go see a doctor who specializes in this stuff - it's important for your future health (and fertility if you want to have children).....your lack of a period could be from the PCOS or something else - you need to find out for sure, OK?