Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 08:22

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

OH! OH!.. A cooking question I have some knowledge of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
I wanted to write him and ask him how she (his mother) makes eggs like that! Mine get very crispy sometimes, though I've started lowering the fire. And those don't look like they were turned, although he calls them over easy.
"Over easy" is just that, they ARE turned over BUT so carefully (easy) that the yoke does not break. It is a skill you have to practice a lot to get good at. “Over easy” also means that the yoke is NOT broken. Where as "over" would allow the yokes to be broken when they are turned, though not necessarily - knowlege from eating at a little cafe while in college.

Another thing that helps is to splash (figuratively) the hot grease over the top of the egg as it is cooking. That even could be all that was done to those eggs. Lots of grease helps you to be able to get under the egg so you can flip it over. It also keeps the egg from sticking to the pan and spatula. My mother used to pour off the grease and save it, then use it the next time she was frying something like more eggs. That way there was more than what you would get from just the bacon for that breakfast.

Learning when to turn the egg over is something that only comes with practice, and lots of failures - I know as I have done it. Sort of like knowing when to turn a pancake - something that I now will never ever do again.

Dr. Mike does not like to expose the yoke to the air any sooner than necessary - just before you eat it. That is to minimize the oxidation of the oils, etc. in the yoke.