Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulia
Howdy,

Well the 3.8 at the 15% incline *IS* as fast as I can walk without falling off the back of the treadmill, AND I can only do it for ONE minute. Then I bring it back down flat, rest for two minutes, then I run 8.5mph (this is all out for me) for 40 seconds (that's as long as I can handle it) then rest from that at 2.5mph, flat... then do the 3.8 hill again (15% is as HIGH as the treadmill inclines), then the flat, then the run.... etc.

I did that this morning for 30 minutes and I can basically barely walk right now, so I'm thinkin' it's doing SOMETHING. And, my heartrate is at 170 when I'm going all out. Crazy.

So maybe it's HIIT for me but not for someone in better shape?

In any event, someone come saw off my legs cuz my hammies are burnin'!

Julia

Well, there's a difference between being as fast as you can walk and maximum effort. Walking generally isn't acceptable for HIIT.

I'm sure you'll say "but I can't run". Well, I can't either. Not for longer than the 20 or 30 second sprints I'm doing for HIIT. I couldn't run a mile to save my life, but I do alternate usually 20 second sprints with 40 second of walking. If you do this just for 10-20 minutes per session, you will see great results.

If running really is just too difficult for you, then do something else. The bike is my second favorite. Just make sure you are pedaling as fast as you possibly can during the "sprint" part.