View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 20:21

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

I have/had what I think is/was mild type 2 diabetes. My FG about the end of January was 128, and my 2 hour glucose test was 239.

On Eat to Live, I eat at >=1 lb raw veg, >=1 lb cooked nonstarchy veg, 4-5 low sugar fruits (tomatoes and red peppers count), >=1 cup of beans, =1 oz tree nuts, =1 tbsp ground flax seed, fish oil and 1000 units of vitamin D. When I am done with that, I only have room for about 200-300 kcal of other stuff. I am losing about 1.5 lbs per week.

My morning glucometer readings have been improving steadily, and for the past week, have ranged from 79 to 97, average 88. One night I ate a cup of starchy veg and two slices of bread, and readings were good the next morning. I am still on 250 mg metformin twice a day, but I will definitely talk to my doctor about discontinuing. Since I was about 80 lbs overweight, and barely met the classification of diabetic, I think there should be no problem coming off the metformin and Lipitor. My BP has remained normal with meds (115/70 these days), so I will likely be on ramipril for a while.

One thing about my eating habits. I generally have three closely spaced meals 4-5 hours apart, but don't eat in the evening. I think that gives my pancreas a nice break of about 12 hours or more.

Most of the time I was exercising 1/2 hour 4x per week or so, but I have increased that, trying to work it up to one hour daily.
So what is diabetes reversal? Healthy FG, GTT and A1C? If you have all those are you cured?