View Single Post
  #512   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 05:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have been working out ... well, power walking actually, at 3-4 miles every day since last Monday.

I haven’t returned to weight lifting just yet though … my wrist has been too sore and achy, and I didn’t want to possibly cause any further damage to it until I'd seen my doctor. I now have and he says it's tendonitis.

Quote:
The most common cause of tendonitis is overuse. Commonly, individuals begin an exercise program, or increase their level of exercise, and begin to experience symptoms of tendonitis. The tendon is unaccustomed to the new level of demand, and this overuse will cause an inflammation and tendonitis.

Another common cause of symptoms of tendonitis is due to age-related changes of the tendon. As people age, the tendons loose their elasticity and ability to glide as smoothly as they used to. With increasing age, individuals are more prone to developing symptoms of tendonitis.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/spo.../tendonitis.htm

So, a double whammy there for me ... push ups combined with getting older.

Dr advised me that it would be better if push ups did not feature much in my future workout programmes, but other 'push' exercises should be OK, as long as they don't bend my wrist back like the push ups.

He's put me on anti-inflammatories, and I have to go back and see him in a month's time ... sooner if I'm still in a lot of pain.

I've decided that I'm going to check out some wrist strengthening exercises and also get some wraps. I've already seen some that may be suitable.

In the meantime, I'm going to sort out some weight training routines that will avoid stressing my wrist.