View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 22:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, I eat the ham, but not between 2 slices of bread.

Here is how I do my ham: First remove the skin...think I already said that...
I buy the already cooked ham, so it's just a matter of heating, not cooking, but it still needs to be heated properly apparently.
Anyway, the instructions I found say to have the oven at 160ºC, and heat the ham for 18 to 25 minutes per pound. (I just went with 20 minutes.) My (half) ham was 4 kilos, so that made 8.8 pounds, so I heated it for a total of 3 hours (technically should have been 176 minutes or so. )
I covered it with Alfoil for the first 2 hours, then dabbed on the glaze. It needs to be checked regularly once the foil has gone, because the upper bits will brown more quickly then the rest. I wound up putting a bit of foil on the upper edge. Also dabbed on more glaze after about half an hour.
It looked really impressive!
Also, I stand the ham on a rack, with an inch or so of water in the baking pan.

In the olden pre LC days, I used to glaze with orange juice, mustard and brown sugar, but this new version was just as good, if not better.

To keep a ham, it is best stored (in the fridge of course) in a damp "hambag." Supermarkets sell them at Christmas time, but all a hambag (I love saying that! ) is is a calico bag or cloth. You can use a tea towel or pillow case, but I use Coles calico shopping bags. You need to wet it and wring it out well, and change to a fresh bag every day.
Edit: Apparently it will keep for up to a fortnight, if stored like this.

Roz