#10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: The GI Diet
Stats: 297/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Allena,

I'm glad you're finding out more information about PCOS and thanks for keeping us updated!

I'll share this with you, because it was a very tough time for me and hopefully my experience will help you a bit. At the end of last year I sufferred severely from depression and it was definitely a result of the PCOS. My motivation was non-existent ... it was all I could do to perform basic functions during the day ... and I'd burst into tears for no apparent reason. A great way to approach the holiday season wasn't it?

I felt much the same way as you do about medication to treat depression. I didn't want to be stuck for life on pills to help me get over this, and I figured there had to be a way to teach my body to behave! I ended up taking a leave of absence from work, and taking the prescription for about 2 weeks. I gave myself permission to focus on ME and get better, because I wouldn't be able to do all of the other things I like to do for family, friends, coworkers if I didn't.

I used the medication to get to a spot where I could motivate myself to take control of the situation. Once I started feeling a little better, I added some light exercise and really started paying attention to my diet. I found the exercise and diet helped with both my mood and general well being. And so far, it seems to be working. It's been 3 months and my moods have improved dramatically and I haven't taken any medication. (and it has the added benefit that I've lost 30 pounds!)

Talk with doctor about different approaches, and see if there is a happy medium you can agree to that will relieve your symptoms as well as keep you medication free long term.

And don't forget to be thankful that you're dealing with this now instead of 10 years from now. I know it's a tough place to be in your teenage years, but think of how much stronger, healthier and more confident you'll be in years to come. You've still got so much road ahead of you!

Hope this helps! All the best,