View Single Post
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 14:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
But I refuse to believe that someone who is carrying around a lot of extra body fat (common symptom of IR) and is insulin-resistant due to a lifetime of poor eating habits, is not at elevated risk for extensive and expensive health problems.

More so than someone who has managed to maintain a normal or near normal body weight but has also had a lifetime of bad eating habits (including lots of foods containing transfats) and never exercises? If we're going to argue liability solely based on health risk, then employers are justified (according to commonly accepted standards of health) in not hiring anyone presenting with a health condition such as hypertension or high cholesterol since those with those conditions are known health risks regardless of their current age or weight. But since the Americans with Disabilities act prevents that, they pick out a group that they think will be the biggest liability and discriminate against them instead.

What I find really interesting (and somewhat depressing) is that many of those responding seem to feel that not only is it unavoidable and okay to discriminate against those who are overweight when it comes to employment, it's completely justifiable all the time, no matter how qualified the overweight individual may be for the job. After all, we're all just a bunch of sick, unproductive individuals that nobody should have to look at, right? And since being overweight is a choice, that means those who are don't deserve the right to earn a decent living and support themselves and their families until they attain a 'healthy' weight and become more socially acceptable.

Call me what you will, but I personally think that's a bunch of bovine excrement.