View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 00:26
Cracker in Asia

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/195/175 Male 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hey ladies, I'm actually suprised that there are so few threads about 'FLOB' (my term for loose skin) on this board

Let me add my two cents. Problem for those of us in this forum is also our age. People who are in their teens & twenty's can often lose 100 lbs & have their skin snap right back into place.

I think the younger you are the easier this problem is to overcome. If you're like me the fact that we're 50 plus cannot be changed

This issue is why I think slow but steady is a good way to lose. I lost around 40 lbs on the 1st six monthes of this WOL the flob problem was pretty bad, I spent the next six monthes exercising & reshaping & only lost an additional 3-4 lbs pretty much on purpose as I tried to tighten up overall before losing more. Losing slowly and drinking LOTS of water helps our skin be able to keep up with the changes

More importantly exercise is the key & not just a specific area but trying to bring down the bodyfat percentage overall via a regular exercise program.

My biggest problem area was the one area that cannot be hidden; under my neck where I used to have multiple chins & then after losing 40lbs looked like a turkey, but that too slowly improved & has eventually gone away especially after practicing the following exercise regularly over the past 1&1/2 years

Tilt your head back nose pointed up.
Open your mouth as far (as widely) as possible & slowly
close it while still looking upward
Do 10 repetitions twice a day. You could start out with 5 and build up. You will tone those muscles. The first time you do it will make your face and neck sore. But if you continue, it will go away like any exercise & eventually its starts to tighten your neck

So I say lose slow & steady, don't forget to keep up the water intake & dont forget the KEY component to a healthy low carb lifestyle, regular exercise; not only to get rid of that flob but to be sucessfull over the long term.

An additional benefit of course is that people that incorporate regular exercise into their low carb program are usually the ones that are sucessfull at reaching their overall goals.