#14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 15:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile

I posted the following almost a year ago to a member who was musing on plateaus ....
Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T

Plateaus are good, and necessary. Plateaus mean a levelling off. When you're climbing a mountain, a plateau is a welcome relief, and chance for the body to catch up. Weight loss plateaus should be viewed the same way. The body is just levelling off, giving the mind-set extra time to develop the new lowcarb habits. If we hit a plateau, and cheat or binge with carby foods, it's like going back down the mountain, and the climb back up to where we were is harder than ever.

Pretty much everything we do in life is filled with stops and starts, charging full-steam ahead and then stale periods of immobilization ... our relationships, education, careers ... as well as health issues. We have no way of knowing in advance how long or how often ... It's taken me many years to come to feel this way though ... didn't happen overnight that's for sure! But I guess it's all just part of life's journey.

I posted this elsewhere, but it holds true in this discussion as well ... "You CAN have it all -- you just can't have it all NOW."
This comes from a thread where a member was contemplating abandoning the lowcarb WOE due to apparent lack of success. You might want to read the whole thread; it's posted in our "Best Of" forum. Look for Why quit L.C.-WOE?.

I tend to think of a plateau as a phase that the body chooses to be in when you're doing everything right. Whereas a stall has a cause .. whether it's a health condition, cheating or not following the chosen program as written or food allergy or undereating, overeating, lack of exercise, etc etc etc.

Doreen