#55   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 13:21

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy60
Sound backwards... you would think the diet should be tried before the drugs. Some doctors seem to want to solve everything with drugs.

The problem with this is that using a diet to mediate seizures could take a long time and every seizure your child has could further damage their brain. Therefore stopping them ASAP should be the first goal.

One ketogenic diet study (at Hopkins) found that it reduced seizures in half of the children treated by 50%. That means half of the children were still having lots of seizures and half were having half as many seizures. Well half as many seizures are still seizures and still potentially causing brain damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy60
Eskimoes have niether seizures nor doctors in their native habitat. The ketogenic diet evolved in a grain based society when it was observed that those who fasted ( ketosis) had fewer seizures. Grains=sugar=sickness=obesity=diabetis=seizures
=doctors=pills=heart disease=a vicious circle with the populace failing in health and the medical community getting rich.

Most seizures are caused by head injury, brain defects, illness, heredity and countless other things. Very few are specifically caused by diet. And you cannot necessarily treat all seizures with a diet. Futhermore, where have you read that eskimos don't have seizures? I highly doubt this. Mainly for the reason I just stated: seizures are not necessarily caused by diet.

Deciding to give your child a drug that will stop their seizures as opposed to using a diet that may stop some of them has nothing to do with parents starving their children with a bottle of grass.

I am curious if anyone who is arguing that the diet should be tried over drugs for seizures has had a child who has seizures.

-J