View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-04, 00:37

Plan: Protein Power/6WBM
Stats: 181.5/139/129 Female 66"
BF:55%/27.5%/22%
Progress: 81%
Smile Easy Breakfast Quiches a la South Beach

I was inspired by the Breakfast Mini Quiches in the South Beach Cookbook and modified the recipe to include my favorite veggie: broccoli. You could modify it, as well, for your preference. Here's my version:

16-oz package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 carton egg substitute ("flavored" egg substitutes work well, too)
1/4 chopped red pepper
a sprinkle of salt
a sprinkle of shredded cheese (I use Asiago, because it's my favorite, but any cheese works just as well)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup standard size muffin/cupcake pan (not the mini muffin size) with foil cupcake liners, not paper. Give each foil liner a quick shot of Pam - this is important, or the quiches will stick.

Put the thawed broccoli in a glass bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes, then drain thoroughly. In the meantime, take 1/4 of a red pepper and dice or chop it. Sprinkle a little salt or salt substitute over the warm DRAINED broccoli and fill each of the 12 foil muffin cups. Pour egg substitute over each cup of broccoli, about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the top of each cup with the red pepper and with the cheese of your choice. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven about 20-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and ENJOY!! (Cool completely and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.)

Since this makes 12 and I usually have 2 every morning (removed from the foil cups and briefly reheated in the microwave), this recipe lasts almost a week. I store them in the refrigerator on a plate inside a large baggie - expect some condensation, even though you have cooled them completely before storing.

I have done the calorie/carb/fat/protein count on this by reading the labels. I will happily provide this info if anyone wants it -- and as soon as I can find it in my holiday-blitzed kitchen!

Hope you like it!
Michelle
Sponsored Links