#34   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 21:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburner
One other question. I can see how using ketones is a very energy inefficient (desirably so for weightloss) process. But once your mitochondria get accustomed to FFA metabolism (ie. fat metabolism without ketones)- even during intense exercise (my endurance and strength is far superior now to when I was High complex carb/protein, and I never 'refeed' ) it's actually a very efficient process isn't it? Which might explain why people with a lot of weight to lose find it more and more difficult to do so, the longer they spend low carbing. I'm sure it's still the healthiest and the easiest way to do so (particularly because you just don't get the artificial insulin related 'carb hunger') but would be quicker if the 'metabolic edge' did not reduce the longer a person spent low carbing.

At least from my personal experience, that seems to be somewhat true. My weight loss slowed down considerably (3.5 lbs/wk to 1-2 lbs/wk) almost overnight when the strips stopped turning. Since then, its slowed down to about 1/2 lb/wk, but that was far more gradual.