Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 20:32
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoddess
There probably isn't much incentitive for anyone to produce such a study. It seems that women themselves are so fearful of weight training to begin with, and fear straying from the starvation diet mode with heavy cardio mode. This is unfortunate, male body builders do know tricks that can be adapted for females.

Sadly, I believe you are correct. Women are often fearful of resistance training because of those who use AAS to become massive, and yet deny it. There seems to be a collective fear that this type of physique can happen accidentally, which of course, it cannot - those who achieve massive size have done so through a combination of good genetics, astonishing discipline and hard work on diet and training, and the best pharmaceuticals money can buy. It is the result of the deliberate pursuit of a particular aesthetic.

I still have issues with this phrase, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoddess
NO MATTER WHAT YOUR GENDER IS - IF YOU WANT TO BUILD MUSCLE YOU MUST FEED IT GLUCOSE.

I just don't think this is true. Over the last three years, I'm guessing I've put on about 15 pounds of muscle. I built at least a third of this on strict low-carb (while dropping at least 20 pounds of fat, over about a 6 month period), and I had no trouble at all doing so. I've learned a lot since starting Atkins three years ago, but I built mass really well on under 40g carb a day for a LOOONG time before I started fiddling with TKD and other carb-cycling rotations.

I’m the first to admit that muscle-building is a whole lot more FUN with the occasional carbup, but for me at least, these carbups were not at all necessary to build up substantial mass. I’ve built up even MORE since fiddling with different bulking carb-cycles, but enjoyed excellent progress without. While it is certainly sub-optimal to build muscle with no carbups whatsoever, it is by no means impossible. I’ve done it. I am willing to bet money this works better while you’re still fat – everything gets harder, body-composition wise, once you’re muscular and fairly lean.