View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 223/193/153
BF:
Progress: 43%

My daughter has been low-carbing with me and my husband since we all started it in August. She is 13 yrs old. I started her out by making her breakfast and lunches for her. For breakfasts she usually makes eggs or a slice of meatloaf or other meat I've got in the fridge for her. We use a light bread (Village Hearth - 15 carbs for 2 slices minus 4 carbs for the dietary fiber) and a meat filling of her choice for lunch. I also give her a string cheese and some carrots and celery. According to Dr. Schwarzbein (that's the diet we're on) you can have uncooked carrots because of their high glycemic level.

The Schwarzbein diet is more lienient than Atkins and I think it's easier for kids to be on. We're allowed 15 carbs at each meal and 7 carbs for each of 2 snacks during the day. Total of 60 carbs. I've not been successful loosing on 60 carbs and have cut back to about 40. My daughter has been very successful on 60 carbs. As adults who have dieted on and off throughout life, our metabolisms have become sluggish. I've found the childrens' metabolisms are much more efficient than ours and thus can handle higher levels of carbs and still lose.

good luck.