View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:59

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

karen, this is a great post. Dana's stuff is always dead-on, I think, and this information is especially good. (She also has the terribly sane view that losing down to a size 12 and maintaining easily after a lifetime of carb addiction is not a failure--not everyone can be or needs to be a fashion model!)

I want to add that it took me a year of LCing and one major lapse to start working most usefully on the emotional parts of the carb addiction issue. That year of physical healing was crucial to this process, the lapse was crucial to the learning, and the mental clarity I got from the lack of carbdrug was, I suspect, necessary to feel stable enough to dig into the childhood and self-concept issues that started my lifelong sugar addiction and can still re-trigger those cravings. So I'd second Dana's opinion that the healing starts with the physical...and don't force the emotional part before you have your physiology healed. And then when you're ready, there's a lot of good recovery literature out there (use what seems right and discard what feels wrong for you), there are counselors who special in eating disorders, there is OA, there are wise people like Karen on this board!