#12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 08:51

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
Hellistile, what about the asthma? My allergies have not improved--still get clogged and have post-nasal drip. Wife is asthmatic, and while she hasn't needed a rescue inhalation for a long time, she is on a steroid inhaler and Singulair for maintenance and nervous about discontinuing it. What have your experiences been?

I've had allergies since the day I was born. Skin allergies, food allergies, hay fever, sun allergies, you name it I've been allergic to it. As a baby my excema was so bad Mom had to tie my hands to the crib bars to prevent me scratching my skin. Then it went away, don't know why. At 10 years of age I developed an allergy to the sun. Couldn't go out into the sun without breaking into a rash for several years. That went away on it's own. In my teens developed hay fever and skin rashes on various parts of the body. Went to the best dermatologist in the city for seven years and just left him scratching his head. The Allergist tested me and found I was allergic to dust and mould, put me on an injection program, but after about 1 year had to discontinue because I became allergic to the shots (lol). Hay fever and allergies remained very bad until the Asthma developed in my late 40's. The hay fever/allergies abated somewhat but the Asthma became severe. My father had allergies that developed into Asthma as he aged, so I followed in his footsteps. Neither my brother nor my sister have any allergy or asthma problems. Once I had my stroke, I refused to take any med's except the asthma ones (5). Since low-carbing I take only Singulair, Flovent and a rescue inhaler (3) and find that my asthma is improved somewhat and don't need the rescue inhaler as much. I am still experimenting with foods to see which ones work and which ones make me worse. Very long and detailed process. I will try the Quercitin because I haven't tried it yet and once I investigate it in more detail. btw my asthma remains the same whether I sterilize the house weekly, keep or don't keep cats, live plants, etc. so I've kept the cats and relaxed my housekeeping rules. However, I have not actually adopted a strict paleo diet, hanging on to some of my beloved foods such a coffee with heavy cream. I'll have to try dumping that for a while and see if it helps but when I'm on vacation. If you have any tips for me Howard please let me know. Seems asthma is one of the more stubborn ones to get rid of even on a low-carb plan.