#11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%

Yeo Tammy Rabbit:

I'm not diabetic, but I need to watch my insulin levels to deal with a potassium related muscle membrane problem.

One thing I notice is that you are eating a LOT of salty foods--lunch meats, salami, cheese. Sodium and potassium need to be kept in balance and in a prehistoric diet, potassium was probably higher than sodium. It sounds like you've got the scale tipped way the other way. So, I agree that you might want to consider using a potassium salt substitute, or adding some potassium supplements from the nutrition store.

You didn't mention if your blood sugar was better controlled on Atkins or if it is running low. I probably don't have to remind you that when you cut carbs, you may need to adjust your pump to prevent low blood sugar and lack of energy.

Also, have you been checked for related problems such as low thyroid or a low grade infection? These are obvious possibility that your doctor can rule in or out pretty quickly.

The idea of adding fish oil sounds good too. I recently saw a great deal of EPA capsules at Sam's Club. You might try eating more olive oil or adding some Flax oil. Oils and fats are neutral on insulin and supprisingly can burn well (give you energy) without raising your blood sugar levels. I kind of like them on a blah stomach becaues they have lots of calories and don't take up much room. Other's may feel they oil is a little heavy on a sick tummy. You decide.

Keep after it and I believe you'll stumble on the missing pieces to your low energy blues.

Best wishes,