View Single Post
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 16:40
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Whoa! As I stated earlier, I do not in any way support PETA. However, the idea that a small child these days (or even in my day as a child reading the Lone Ranger comic books and watching Road Runner cartoons) being shocked and traumatized by a bag of fake blood is carrying things a bit too far. Consider Grimm's' fairy tales. Hansel and Gretel. Little Red Riding Hood. Consider the things available to kids today during Halloween season. We lived through them all. Few were "permanently traumatized" by them, though I can say I wish I had not seen "Dorothy and the Wizard of OZ" at a tender age.

And no, I don't have children either. I gave at the office. I was a psychoeducational therapist serving children with autism and their families for many years. I'm also a godmother to a number of friends' children. Their parents must consider me sane.

In spite of disagreeing with many things she believes, I have to admire RockerChic for expressing her opinion. And I think she has the right to express it here, without being considered a freak.

The best thing that has been written on this thread is the bit about children having to be taught the importance of love and compassion in order to abhor cruelty later in life. They cannot be shielded from everything for long.

Rocker Chic, I don't know, and don't really want to know, what "information", aside from the bones and fake bag of blood the kids were to be given, but the one thing that worries me is that some children may be given the message that "Your parents are cruel and inhuman idiots to feed you KFC". To undermine the parents in that way to the kids, even if it should be scientifically true, is just wrongety, wrongety. (reference to my favorite New Yorker cartoon).

Kay