Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think I agree with DanG on this issue. I have to count calories on Atkins to lose weight, even without consuming SA or extra carbs. I do find the appetite suppressing features of low carb works even when I do use sugar alcohols, which isn't all that often, but still, I do have the occasional chocolate or ice cream that uses them.

I agree.

I would be willing to wager those folks who find they "stall on sugar alcohols" are actually stalling on the extra junk food calories that sugar alcohol products contain.

In fact, I've really never heard of a case in which a low carber who includes calorie counting as a part of their plan stalls whenever they eat SA products.

As far as I can tell, LC convenience food is not really compatible with an atkins-like program (a program which doesn't include calorie number counting). Even if a cookie contains 2 carbs, it may very well contain 250 calories! If your plan doesn't advocate an emphasis on calorie counting, then of course you are going to wind up over eating if you are presented with a plethora of LC ready made sweets. Even though these sweets won't physically make you hungrier (like the real thing would), a lifetime of conditioning yourself to binge on these types of bready sweet foods means very very few people who previously had a weight problem would be able to resist over eating them.

So I look at it like this. I am totally greatful for healthier alternatives to convenience and junk food, but if you ARE going to eat them, it would be wise to make sure that you are replacing calories in your diet, not adding new calories.