View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 17:50

Plan: ZONE
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:
Progress: 85%

Candi
I think you are losing at about the right rate. It is certainly not slow! Remember that for each pound you lose you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories. If you have lost 16lbs in 6 weeks, this is about 2.5lbs a week, which is a calorie deficit of nearly 9000 calories, over 1000 cals per day. This is a lot. I hope that you are doing this by eating 500 less calories and burning 500 more calories by exercise per day. If it is all through fewer calories, you could be starving your metabolism and burning protein (your muscles, which are the things that burn the most calories all the time).

Let's look at the other example you gave: 60lbs lost in let's say 4 months. This is approx 4lbs lost per week, which is a calorie deficit of 14000 cals per week, or 2000 cals per day. This is huge. Either this person is eating nothing but celery, or they are training for a marathon, or both!!

Much of the fantastic weight loss experienced initially in lots of diets people go on is water loss and has nothing to do with body fat.

Keep going, I reckon you are doing really well!

Tamarian
Your 1% rule looks on the low side to me. Your rule suggests that an 85kg man needing to become 75kg at 15% body fat will/should lose 0.1kg per week. That's about a quarter of a pound. Not a lot: a weekly cal deficit of 850, or about 100 cals per day. Everyone should be able to lose weight more than this, especially if they do it by exercise rather than reducing cal intake.

I'd say 5% is more the mark.