Registered Member

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 192.0/168.5/142.0 Female 64 inches
BF:39%/36%/25%
Progress: 47%
Post Direct quote from SBD site re: FATS

Source: http://www.southbeachdiet.com/aboutdiet/carbs.asp

"Good Fats vs. Bad Fats"

"To make up for the overall cut in carbohydrates, my diet permits ample fats and animal proteins. This decision flies in the face of the famous diets that had been developed specifically for people with heart problems, like Pritikin and Ornish. For a cardiologist, this was skating on thin ice. But my experience with patients showed that those so-called heart-healthy diets were nearly impossible to stick to, because they relied too heavily on the dieters' ability to eat super-low fat over the long haul. The South Beach Diet permits lean beef, pork, veal, and lamb."

"The low-fat regimen's severe restrictions on meat were unnecessary-the latest studies had shown that lean meat did not have a harmful effect on blood chemistry. Even egg yolks are good for you, contrary to what we once believed. They're a source of natural vitamin E and have a neutral-to-favorable effect on our balance between good and bad cholesterol. Chicken, turkey, and fish (especially the oily ones, such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel) were recommended on my diet, along with nuts and low-fat cheeses and yogurt."

"As a rule, low-fat prepared foods can be a bad idea-the fats are replaced with carbs, which are fattening. But low-fat dairy products, such as cheese, milk, and yogurt are exceptions to this rule-they are nutritious and not fattening."

"I also allowed plenty of healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats, like the Mediterranean ones: Olive oil, canola oil, and peanut oil. These are the good fats. They can actually reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke. In addition to being beneficial, they make food more palatable. They're filling, too-a major consideration for a diet that promises that you won't have to go hungry." --Dr. Agatston

This pretty much covers it, I think. Hope this helps! (I will check my book, too and post more detail if I find any.)

Have a wonderful day/night.