View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 21:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/345/175 Female 5feet 7inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb

I am crossing my fingers that you're right about the glycemic index and being able to eat foods lower on the scale. I miss my oatmeal alot. It was something I could always eat, even with the sin of a small amount of added sugar and milk when I was on a restricted carb diet for my gestational diabetes. Even though my total carb count for the meal was higher than it was supposed to be (by about 7 grams) it never effected my bloodsugars. Infact they were usually on the lower end of my normal range. It also seemed to help even out my bloodsugars for at least part of the rest of the day. (I even lost weight consistantly: 2lbs a week)

Oats have been getting lots of good press for helping people lower their cholesterol. Now I begin to wonder if that has more to do with helping people even out their insulin levels for the day, than just the reported absorbtion of fats from the bloodstream. Especially since it's been proven (or at least to my statisfaction) that higher insulin levels contribute to high cholestoral levels. I wonder what a study would show of people with high cholestoral being placed on a diet of foods low on the glycemic index, not just oats, but many of the other foods that help even out bloodsugars and insulin levels over the day.

I personally am hoping that once I reach my goal weight I'll be able to manage my diet less from counting carbs than from managing my bloodsugars and understanding how different foods effect me. This could be wishful thinking on my part I know. But I agree that missing out on things like oatmeal and a few other 'high carb' foods might not be in my best interests. Then again, I know that being over a hundred pounds overweight is even less so. Maybe though, there's a balance... and it wont have to be a choice of one or the other.

keeping my fingers crossed....

lorelei