View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 10:42

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 188/173/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I agree that getting your kids to eat low carb is a challenge... one of many parenting challenges!

I started just by cutting out the starch at dinner - so no rice, potatoes, pasta, filler - just meat/chicken/fish and a couple of veggies. They never missed it.

Then I stopped buying breakfast cereals. They could have unsweetened yoghurt and fruit, the LC egg and cream cheese danish, eggs and ham or bacon. The most popular breakfast is plain yoghurt and blueberries (I buy all kinds of frozen berries and fruit and just defrost them in the microwave before serving).

For lunches I do make them sandwiches, on whole wheat bread (Dempsters 100% whole wheat is a good brand), because it is convenient for me and they don't eat bread at any other time. They both like ham, tuna, chicken, cheese, egg salad, and I try to add some "salad" to the sandwiches (tomato/lettuce). I even cave to the occasional pb&j (everything in moderation). Snacks include plain yoghurt and fruit, veggies and dip, fruit and dip (cream cheese mixed with a little cream to make it "dippier").

I buy Ceres brand juices which come in a very wide variety (mango, pear, kiwi, guava, different berry mixes, etc.). I dilute them a little (mostly to stretch them) and the kids know that they are only allowed to have a small glass or two a day. Otherwise they drink water or 2% milk.

I think the biggest thing to remember with kids is EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.

My kids are 5 and 8 and I find the hardest thing is saying no to all the snack foods and treats that they are offered by their friends and their well meaning parents (and grandparents!!). I don't think that fruit snacks, cookies, popsicles, freezies, Mr. Noodles, Ritz crackers, chocolate granola bars, lollypops, are appropriate after school snack ideas. Call me crazy. I'm not a food nazi, I do say yes once in a while ('cause, again, everything in moderation!). I just think that there are so many other things they can eat and enjoy!

I keep a tray of cut veggies and a couple of dips in the fridge all the time and the kids know that they can help themselves anytime they want. I have almost completely obliterated the "I'm hungry"s in my house. You know that whiny one, 30 minutes before dinner?! They can help themselves to the veggies in the fridge (so what if they fill up before dinner?!).

Good luck in your quest for better kid nutrition. It sounds like she is willing to try out a healthier WOE.