View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 13:53

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Thanks! ACohn

However, I believe the article is more on track than that. I think that there are few real risks associated with being overweight. I think being overweight is just another in the myriad of symptoms of insulin resistance, just as PCOS and diabetes are.

All my life my doctors have been telling me to "lose weight and everything will be fine." Well I did that and everything was never fine.

When I was finally diagnosed with PCOS, my doctor told me that my weight was a symptom of PCOS, not the other way around.

By low-carbing a la Schwarzbein, I finally got my insulin resistance under control and look what's happened: I haven't lost that much weight, in fact I'm still considered obese, but I reversed my pre-diabetic condition and "cured" my PCOS. I am now active and living the lifestyle recommended by the author.

So the only thing, to my mind, that the author doesn't mention, and he wouldn't because it hasn't really been tested, is the affect on overall health of truly eating right -- eating low-carb. (although, he does recommend eating less junk food)

I recently heard that one of the nutrition organizations recommends that we eat a minimum of about 150 grams (I think) of carbs a day. Personally, I think that should be the maximum.

;-Deb