Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Milestones (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   One Year Maintaining....A Life time to go... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=451170)

Chris_D Fri, Mar-15-13 09:57

One Year Maintaining....A Life time to go...

Happy Sappy Alert!!

Today is a big day! ONE YEAR AGO, on March 15, 2012, I reached my goal weight!

HAPPY GOAL DAY TO ME-EEEEE-EEEEE-EEEEE-EEEEE-EEEEE!! :D

I have maintained it a whole year, 365 days!! :hyper: A year of maintenance; I really did not believe I would get to this place. I anticipated bumps & sharp curves in the road and I kept expecting to fall off. Thanks to the amazing supportive community/family that has surrounded me, both online and in person I’m celebrating. I look to my mentors of long term maintainers on this forum (Judy, Glenda, Demi :rheart: ) for guidance and strength that I CAN DO THIS!

Yes, I have weeks where I fluctuate and gain a bit. When that happens, I find that I make little adjustments to get back to where I want to be. It's a continuous process, one that needs to be an on-going conscious effort.

I have settled into a range that is good for me and when I see things creeping to that upper limit of the range, I know that I have the tools to make changes before things get out of control - and it's up to me to use those tools.

This past year has made me think hard about how important it is to constantly work to keep myself motivated. I have to keep it fresh and new with different recipes, new spices as well as adopt the attitude of a successful maintainer and think and live like one. I continue to read and explore new things about my health and lifestyle. I have switched gears from a "work"-life balance to a LIFE-work attitude.

There is no such thing as immunity; I know I must maintain a certain level of vigilance for a lifetime. It all boils down to decisions, choices and the right balance for me!

The last 12 months have been a process of finding my way into weight maintenance. I had to figure out what "maintenance" looked like for me. How much more food should I/could I eat? How much exercise was enough? How much should I let my weight fluctuate? For the most part, I think I found my “sweet spot” (pardon the pun) but this, is no way is a declaration of long-term success; I am a continuous work in progress.

Do your thing. Be happy with who you are. That's what is important. I wasn't happy with who I was or where I was so I took steps to change my situation.

This is who I am now. This is how I live. This is how I eat. These are my priorities. This is non-negotiable….but I know it’s not the end of the war…......however today I acknowledge and respect the good low carb soldier I have become and celebrate!

Positive change is not a quick, linear process. Be patient with yourself and remind yourself frequently of all the benefits you are enjoying from being leaner, one pound and one inch at a time.

Onward and Forward, I AM POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Whofan Fri, Mar-15-13 11:02

:bday: :Party: :bday: :Party: :bday:

Happy Maintenance Birthday, Chris.

Your post is an inspiration. You are one of the maintainers I look to for advice and guidance.

kitann Fri, Mar-15-13 16:06

:cheer: :cheer: Well done! As Whofan said, people like you are a tremendous encouragement for those of us still on the journey! Congratulations!

anglgrl Sat, Mar-16-13 10:00

:Party: :wiggle: :yay:
Happy anniversary! Your maintenance story is super inspiring!

Judynyc Sat, Mar-16-13 10:28

Congrats on your 1st year( of many) of successful maintenance, Chris! :D

You write about this so well...thank you! :thup:

especially this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Yes, I have weeks where I fluctuate and gain a bit. When that happens, I find that I make little adjustments to get back to where I want to be. It's a continuous process, one that needs to be an on-going conscious effort.

:agree: Yup!

Liz53 Sat, Mar-16-13 10:40

Thanks for posting your experience, Chris. It's so helpful for us Maintenance WannaBes. Congratulations on your loss and, even more, your maintenance!

Kirsteen Sat, Mar-16-13 11:56

:Party: Well done, Chris. You deserve this success. Long may it continue. Thanks for the encouragement. :Party:

livinright Sat, Mar-16-13 12:51

Congratulations!

Blackstone Thu, Apr-04-13 11:58

:Party: :cheer: :bday: A well deserved congratulations to you!!

You really are such an inspiration to so many. I know for me you have been a total rock to me along my journey. LOVE that you are celebrating your first of many years of low carb, high fun journey. Three cheers for Chris!!!!

kayin Thu, Apr-04-13 15:20

Awesome! I am (was) a yo-yo dieter and have finally realized that this needs to be a LIFESTYLE! Good for you, I hope to be where you are in a couple of years.

earthy Sat, Apr-06-13 09:34

You're a good influence and very inspirational! Super congratulations on your maintenance. It's great to know that it can be done! :clap: