Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Rosemary Onion Dinner Rolls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=428818)

Buttoni Tue, May-31-11 14:18

Rosemary Onion Dinner Rolls

This is a variation of a Paleo recipe I read today: (http://wheatfreeandglutenfreebreadrecipe.blogspot.com/)

These rolls can be seen here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...n-dinner-rolls/

These little rolls are a variation of a Paleo Flax Bread recipe. They came out quite light and tasty. Would be very nice for serving as a hot dinner roll with butter. These are not suitable until you get to OWL nuts and seeds level. This batter can be baked as a single loaf as well, but allow longer (about 30 minutes) for baking time if you do.

INGREDIENTS:

2 T. coconut flour
2/3 c. almond flour
1 c. + 2 T. flax meal
¼ tsp. salt
2½ tsp. baking powder
4 eggs, beaten
¾-1 c. water
4 T. olive oil

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Grease loaf pan or muffin pan with some olive oil. Beat the eggs, 4 T. olive oil and 1/2 c. of the water in a large mixing bowl. Measure all dry ingredients on top of the egg mixture and stir/beat well. Batter will be quite stiff. Gradually add more water in small increments and beat after each addition until batter is smooth/soft enough to be spooned into muffin pans. You want it fairly thick! Spoon into muffin cups nearly full, as these don’t rise too much. Pop into 350º oven for about 20 minutes (30 minutes for a single loaf of bread). Cool slightly before attempting to slice the loaf. Serve rolls at once with butter.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 loaf cut into 12 slices or 12 dinner rolls, each roll/slice contains:

154 calories
12.8 g fat
5.83 g carbs, 4.43 g fiber, 1.4 g NET CARBS
5.71 g protein
83 mg sodium
14% RDA phosphorous, 14% selenium, 13% magnesium, 17% copper, 17% thiamin, 15% iron and 109 mg. potassium

NewRuth Tue, May-31-11 15:41

Oh! my! Oh! my!

Those look delicious! After seeing the picture, I will be making these!

Buttoni Tue, May-31-11 18:26

I'm going to experimenting some more with this recipe. Next up is Onion-Dill bread. then maybe some cinnamon/cream cheese breakfast rolls. :) I'm compulsive about cooking, I admit it. LOL

Hope you like these, Ruth!

WereBear Sat, Jun-04-11 07:00

These look wonderful, Peggy; but on your website rosemary & onion ARE listed in the ingredients; not so on the forum!

freckles Sat, Jun-04-11 14:41

I'm making these today if I have enough flax! Thank you!

graciejean Sat, Jun-04-11 15:46

I am going to make there for dinner sunday

Buttoni Sun, Jun-05-11 06:57

Thanks so much for catching that omission here Werebear. I had caught my own mistake the day after posting the recipe on my site, but apparently failed to remember and come back here and post that correction. I'm so glad you liked these! Hope you like them, too, Freckles, Ruth and GracieJean. I just reheated one last night for an evening snack. I slathered it in butter, of course. Mmmm.

Please add to the ingredients above :

1T. fresh rosemary, chopped (if using dried, only 2 tsp.)
½ tsp. onion powder

lizzyLC Sun, Jun-05-11 13:33

I wish I could make those. Sadly, almond flour won't work for me.

Do all the Carbquick like mixes have soy flour in them?

I'm allergic to soy as well.

Buttoni Mon, Jun-06-11 06:12

Well, I can say my Carbquick box says it has soy in it, for sure. Wonder if you could sub in whey protein, unflavored? Might be worth some experimentation for you. I've run across a lot of bread recipes that use some whey protein. Let us know how that comes out, if you try it Lizzy. I'd be curious to know. :)

NewRuth Mon, Jun-06-11 11:50

We made them on Thursday, and they were a hit with the die hard low carbers and dh (the carb man) said they were OK and I could make them again. That's reasonably high praise from him for a low carb substitute.

Most of us thought they could use about double the amount of salt, but that's just a preference thing. This is a keeper.

Thank you for sharing!

Buttoni Tue, Jun-07-11 05:24

I suspect you're right on the salt. But I'm hyper salt sensitive, so I never use much. I'm SO glad you guys like these! I used a couple in a Blue Crab stuffing last night for my Swai filets and they worked out nicely in that also. I'm going to try them as Onion-Dill rolls next time. That's a nice herb combo for bread, too. :)

deb34 Tue, Jun-07-11 11:38

this looks fantastic, I'll be giving it a try for sure!

freckles Thu, Jun-16-11 17:08

I did end up making these and they are great! I forgot to copy the recipe into my recipe file, though!!! Just spent the last 30 minutes looking for it - that says a lot about how much I like it. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the recipe, Peggy!

Buttoni Fri, Jun-17-11 17:52

Glad you liked them! I froze my leftover ones and pulled a few out to take with me on a trip down to my Mom's in San Antonio this week and used them for mini-sandwich loaves at lunch for sandwiches. They were still good, too!

freckles Fri, Jun-17-11 18:13

It's good to know they freeze well! Thanks!