Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Tomatoes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=4083)

LCSue Fri, Apr-20-01 20:25

I wonder if someone could just clarify something for me. I was looking up tomatoes in the database and I wanted the count for Roma tomatoes because those are my favourite, and I am missing them terribly. The listing showed 'plum' or 'Italian'. Are these the same thing as Roma? Sounds like Italy to me :). If so, they are not bad at all, just 2.877 carbs each less .682 for fibre. Quite a bit less than the regular ones, providing that the weight of 62gr. is average. I am hoping, hoping ...

I am with you, Rachel, LOVE onions. They are my favourite veggie. Sob. Green onions will have to do, I guess, but definitely not the same.

BTW, the hash browns sound great, ladies. Thanks.

doreen T Fri, Apr-20-01 20:54

hi Sue,

Yes, Roma and Italia are two varieties of plum tomatoes -- I just happened to be sitting here poring over my gardening books, dreaming about the summer that just might happen after all .. :D .. The carb count would be right for a very small tomato. I have two plum tomatoes, which I bought the smallest I could find (I hate leftover tomato once it's been cut) -- anyway, just weighed them on my little scale, and they were close to 75 gm each. Hmmmmm ... guess I wasn't too far off guesstimating them at 4 carbs minus 1 gm fiber.

I still don't understand why folks want to avoid onions (?? says Doreen, who loves 'em). A half a small onion, or about 3 Tbsp chopped is only 2.7 carbs minus 0.8 fiber. A whole small onion, in a recipe for 4 people would net less than one carb, and a lot of flavour. Just my thought, of course .. :)

Doreen

r.mines Fri, Apr-20-01 21:22

You gotta be kidding!

Whaddya mean, one small onion for four people???? That's a very small serving for ONE , as far as I'm concerned!!!!:D

Rachel
who is an onion addict

doreen T Fri, Apr-20-01 22:14

LOL !!!

True , Rachel, true.

I'm trying to justify to myself ... I usually use a whole small onion for just me (or just shy of 1/2 cup). I figure 4 carbs after fiber.

On the other hand, I have no desire to indulge 11 carbs in 100 ml sugar-free icecream this summer... ;)

For that, I could have a cup of sliced mushrooms and 1/2 cup onions grilled with a steak, and 3/4 cup fresh strawberries.

**sigh** Now I'm hungry. Better go to bed... :rolleyes:

Doreen

LCSue Sat, Apr-21-01 11:57

Re: You gotta be kidding!

Quote:
Originally posted by r.mines
Whaddya mean, one small onion for four people???? That's a very small serving for ONE , as far as I'm concerned!!!!:D

Rachel
who is an onion addict

I absolutely agree, I am passionate about them. I wonder if there is an Onions Anonymous??

Thanks, Doreen. I am really pleased to learn that. I shall go and look for the teeniest Romas I can find. Yum, yum. I don't like 'em leftover, either. I shall also look for some 'small' onions, and try not to feel tooooo deprived, but it will be very hard. :D