Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   How in the world could I still be in Ketosis? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=340102)

Ghoulia Sat, Jun-30-07 10:54

How in the world could I still be in Ketosis?

So last night was candy binge night (yes, yes, I get one a month DON'T FLOG ME!).

I had about 20 individually wrapped dove dark chocolate squares and about 15 miniature resees p-butter cups.

So then this morning I'm still registering purple? Hruh?

I mean, I know the chocolate has fat in it, so that could be it, but wouldn't the SHEER SUGAR CONTENT blow that out of the water and the stick should have been negative?

Julia

LoveMyGSDs Sat, Jun-30-07 11:52

Sometimes I will fall out of ketosis the 2nd day after a cheat. Perhaphs you're just seeing some leftover ketones in your urine. The other possibility is that your threshhold for ketosis is farily high (my step son's is 100 grams of carbs per day give or take a bit). So, maybe your binge still kept you within your range.

pennink Sat, Jun-30-07 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyGSDs
The other possibility is that your threshhold for ketosis is farily high (my step son's is 100 grams of carbs per day give or take a bit). So, maybe your binge still kept you within your range.

and Julia, if this is the case... I am sooooo fricken jealous!!!!!!

Let us know how it goes! :wave:

LoveMyGSDs Sat, Jun-30-07 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
if this is the case... I am sooooo fricken jealous!!!!!!

Yeah, me too!!

lisabinil Sat, Jun-30-07 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulia
So last night was candy binge night (yes, yes, I get one a month DON'T FLOG ME!).

I had about 20 individually wrapped dove dark chocolate squares and about 15 miniature resees p-butter cups.

So then this morning I'm still registering purple? Hruh?

I mean, I know the chocolate has fat in it, so that could be it, but wouldn't the SHEER SUGAR CONTENT blow that out of the water and the stick should have been negative?

Julia

It takes food 30-40 hours to find its way out of the colon-so you don't metabolize it that fast but it can show up after that. ;)

ElleH Sat, Jun-30-07 13:16

You'll have to wait and see what happens. Sometimes I have not left ketosis at all from a candy binge while high-fatting. Sometimes I've left it right away, sometimes 12-24 hours later, doing traditional Atkins. The only way you can say "whew" is if you don't leave it at all after 3-4 days.

Ghoulia Sat, Jun-30-07 14:36

Well all righty then!

I will keep y'all posted.

Thanks for the responses!

Julia

mike_d Sat, Jun-30-07 20:11

I would look for a mondo weight gain down the road, plus possible negative health effects such as tiredness, backache or possibly getting a virus head cold like I did.

Ghoulia Sat, Jun-30-07 20:41

Holy crap! I certainly hope not Mike!

I do this once a month and never gain any weight because of it... but I do generally feel like shit the next day. However TODAY, I woke up hyper as hell and my HIIT workout at the gym today was FANTABULOUS. So go figure.

Now, that said, I'm taking this naughtiness yet further by drinking WINE tonight. Now not only will I feel like crap tomorrow, but I certainly WILL see some gain from that.... the diuretic effect, then the water gain, then the loss again.

Ya gots ta figure if I'm burning 800 cals a day then I won't see any kind of significant gain, but the feeling like hell certainly beats that any day.

I'll for sure for SURE be out of ketosis tomorrow though., guaranteed.

Party on!

Julia

knaff Sun, Jul-01-07 20:36

Maybe the high fat content of the chocolate is keeping you in ketosis - like it balances out the sugar !! :lol:

atlchica Mon, Jul-02-07 08:34

Look for a knock out of ketosis today - it definitely takes me more than 12 hours to see the results of a cheat. On Saturday I went to an amusement park and ate chicken strips (the best food option I could find for lunch), and later drank a lemonade. I was still in ketosis the next morning, but this morning, I was out and my weight was up 1.5 lbs. It just took awhile to work through my system.

Touchdown Tue, Jul-03-07 13:32

So what happened?

Ghoulia Tue, Jul-03-07 14:05

WELL! I never fully fell out.

The sticks were still light pink BORDERING on negative, but not fully negative.

Even after my bottle of wine, 2 shots of vodka, one beer and slice of pizza.

I spent the next day, THE ENTIRE DAY (thank GOD my husband was home to be with the kids) IN BED fighting off hurling. I ate NOTHING all day. Nothing. I'm thinkin' that the ONLY reason why I could possibly still be in ketosis THAT day was because my body ONLY had fat to eat anyway. Who knows, who knows.

Still don't know about the candy binge. I'd been really good up until that point, and I DID have dinner before all the chocolate so maybe it offset the carbs? Dunno. I pick chocolate as my poison because A.) I love it, and B.) because I just can NOT overeat it. I want to, but I just can't.

Now, give me sweet tarts, sour patch kids or anything like that, I could eat my weight in it. But, chocolate is my fave so that's what I pick.

I also got my stupid jackass period FOUR DAYS EARLY AGAIN, so I'm sure that had something to do with my binge. Every freakin' 24 days for the past 4 months. I HATE IT!!!!

But, hey, I'll take my 25 pounds gone and the every 24 day thing in a heartbeat rather than be 142/145 and have it every 28 days. Fo' SHIZZLE!

Anyway, that's what happened!

Julia

LoveMyGSDs Tue, Jul-03-07 14:13

That's an, ummmm, interesting combination of alcohol! No wonder you didn't get out of bed or eat the next day. :eek:

I'm glad to hear you didn't fall out of ketosis! :thup:

Ghoulia Tue, Jul-03-07 15:11

Oh yes, interesting to say the least. I quit drinking November 30th, never to return, but have a few times... but not this bad. Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE.

Was just having too much fun with the neighbors over (finally some COOL neighbors OUR AGE moved in) and we were shooting darts until 1AM - good times.... Not so good times on Sunday. I wanted to DIE. DIE I say.

The upside is that my husband got a taste of Stay At Home Dad-dom. >insert evil laugh and wringing of hands here<.

Very weird about the ketosis though. I *have* been working out really hard though, maybe that has something to do with it.

Julia