Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Quick Meals & Snacks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Delicious substitute for a bowl of cereal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=315552)

MizKitty Wed, Nov-15-06 18:36

Delicious substitute for a bowl of cereal

I love this simple quick idea for breakfast, snack or dessert when I'm wanting something sweet and crunchy. Tastes better than any low carb cereal!

Just put a half cup of walnuts in a bowl with a tablespoon or so of butter - microwave 30 seconds or until the butter is melted, then stir in some granular splenda and cinnamon, and eat with a spoon.

A half cup of walnuts is 8 g carbs, 4 g fiber, or 4 net carbs plus however much splenda.
Plus, a half cup of walnuts contains about 4.5 g of Omega 3 fatty acids!

mclukey Wed, Nov-15-06 19:21

I just did this with some mixed nuts I had. YUM! This was a really quick good idea! Thanks!!!!!

absinthian Sat, Apr-11-09 13:58

After I read this recipe I immediately went to the kitchen and made some! I'm not a cinnamon fan so I left it out and used stevia for sweetener. YUMMY

FranLove Mon, Apr-13-09 00:05

Oh I gotta try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deb34 Thu, Apr-23-09 11:24

i'm eating this right now! Pecans, butter, sweet n low, salt & cinnamon. Wow! this is my new favourite work food, it's so easy to transport and heat in a Microwave and is extremely filling and delicious! here's the approximate nutritional breakdown(for the nuts only)

Quote:
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 cup, chopped (109 grams)
Amount Per Serving Calories: 753
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78g 120% Saturated Fat 7g 33% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 0mg 0% Total Carboydrates 15g 5% Dietary Fiber 10g ~ Sugars 4g ~ Protein 10g 19% Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 1% Iron 15% Calcium 7% *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs

Sandollar Thu, Apr-23-09 12:54

Walnuts are now on my grocery list for today....

Flutterby Mon, Apr-27-09 18:14

Oh...add some LC vanilla ice cream...YUM!

feelskinny Mon, Apr-27-09 18:17

Oh my that does sound delish! Thanks for sharing!

gweny70 Fri, May-08-09 09:16

Sounds yummy! gonna give this one a try for sure!

GreysFan Tue, Sep-08-09 16:14

Good Idea! :O)

lmollon Wed, Oct-14-09 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
I love this simple quick idea for breakfast, snack or dessert when I'm wanting something sweet and crunchy. Tastes better than any low carb cereal!

Just put a half cup of walnuts in a bowl with a tablespoon or so of butter - microwave 30 seconds or until the butter is melted, then stir in some granular splenda and cinnamon, and eat with a spoon.

A half cup of walnuts is 8 g carbs, 4 g fiber, or 4 net carbs plus however much splenda.
Plus, a half cup of walnuts contains about 4.5 g of Omega 3 fatty acids!

I messed with this, as I was looking for a substitute for my favourite snack that I used to make with popcorn. Sooo...I thought I would try it with the walnuts--delicious!! I use your recipe, but instead of cinnamon, I add in salt, chili powder and parmesan cheese. Salty, sweet and spicy...yumm, yumm...

noinwi Tue, Jan-26-10 17:09

Sliced almonds, flaked unsweetened coconut and walnuts, topped with cream or half & half, and a sprinkling of Splenda is a good substitute for cold cereal in the morning...and it doesn't take much to satisfy!

Laura W Sat, Jan-30-10 17:42

noinwi,
Can you please tell me the approximate measurements of each?
Thanks.
Laura

noinwi Sun, Jan-31-10 16:30

Sorry to get back to you so late. I can't say exactly because I don't have any of the ingredients yet this time around(just finishing induction...again). If you know what the carbs counts are for one serving of each, and know how many carbs you can have, just go by that. I'm pretty sure I used a tablespoon of each, a packet of splenda and drizzled a little cream mixed with a little water over it. It doesn't seem like much, but it's very rich and takes a lot of chewing to finish it. This is how it satisfies me...I crave the crunch! I usually store nuts and coconut in the fridge and this "cereal" is excellent very cold. I'll try to find the carb counts and post them.

noinwi Sun, Jan-31-10 16:48

Ok, according to the Atkins carb counter, the net carbs for 1oz of almonds: 2.6, 1oz of coconut: 2.3, 1oz of walnuts: 2.0. I did find an almost empty bag of chopped walnuts deep in the fridge, and 1oz = 1/4 cup, so that's quite a good portion. I think that's why I started using just a tablespoon of each. But even if you used an ounce of each, your still at about 7 net carbs(there's a lot of fiber going on here) before your sweetener and cream/milk. So again, the amount you have depends on the amount of carbs you're allowed at your current phase.