Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Milk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453577)

mardatha Thu, Jun-27-13 09:45

Milk

Been low carbing ten days and already lost 7lbs so am very happy. However!! I can't give up my tea. I drink tea all day and have managed to cut it down a lot, but if I have to give up tea or give up this diet, then the diet will have to go. Is there any way round this? I don't take sugar in tea.

lovinita Thu, Jun-27-13 12:28

I am not sure I understand the problem? is it that you have milk in your tea? And milk contains the milk sugar?

If so could you switch to cream? Cream doesn't have the milk sugar.

Or perhaps cut down on the amount of milk?

mardatha Thu, Jun-27-13 12:32

Yes I read that milk has carbs and sugar. Not much, but I do drink a lot of it. Will try cream but not sure how that will taste in tea. :D TY!

Liz53 Thu, Jun-27-13 14:50

I used to drink whole milk in my tea - about 2 Tablespoons for each cuppa (about 4 each day). When I began eating LC, I first switch to half and half and found I could get the same "whitening" with 1/2 Tablespoon of half and half per cup of tea. Later I transitioned to heavy whipping cream and found I needed only 1 tsp per cup of tea.

I think the biggest mistake is adding *too much* cream to tea - see if you can get by with less cream than milk and you will not only save carbs, but increase fat as well - a win/win. Anyway, it might take you a bit of time to make the transition, but it can be done. Good luck!

mardatha Thu, Jun-27-13 15:13

Yes, can imagine the taste would change with cream. Can I ask what half & half is? And maybe I could add water to the cream first?
I think I have nearer 24 cups than 4 :D

Liz53 Thu, Jun-27-13 18:21

Half and half is 1/2 milk, half cream, sometimes known as 18% cream (heavy whipping cream is 36% fat, and half and half is 18% fat). Yes, another strategy is to dilute cream with water....it's worth a try.

kaylakala Thu, Jun-27-13 18:24

What about almond milk?

mardatha Fri, Jun-28-13 01:55

I've never seen almond milk - will look for that next time I'm in a shop and try it. Will sort something out to make this diet work :) Thanks all for patient help.

Elizellen Fri, Jun-28-13 03:52

I sometimes water down cream to use in recipes that call for milk as we seldom have "wet milk" in the fridge (my hubby uses powdered milk in his coffee) and it works fine.

mardatha Fri, Jun-28-13 05:00

I drink a lot of tea and I like milk... but to lose carbs I know I have to change :(
Went out this morning and bought Almond milk, unsweetened Soya milk, and KoKo. Trying the coconut first.

traceyblue Sun, Jul-14-13 12:21

By now you will have discovered that soya/almond/coconut milk all taste vile in tea, although they're lovely to drink on their own!

mardatha Sun, Jul-14-13 12:25

Yep! But I haven't bothered to even try them on their own! lol

traceyblue Sun, Jul-14-13 12:33

Oh, do try them on their own, cos they are nice! My favourite is the Alpro light unsweetened soya milk, but i also like the Almond dream unsweetened.... both need to be ice cold from the fridge, but i love them, and the carbs are so low, i can drink loads!!

mardatha Sun, Jul-14-13 13:03

I'm allowing myself 5 cups of real proper tea a day, with real proper milk. Anything over and above that is the Alpro unsweetened :)

Gilly07 Sun, Jul-14-13 19:49

I would do a "normal" day of tea with milk drinking but measure how much milk you use, then just work out the carbs for that and you will know how many cuppas you can have for that amount of carbs.
Don't forget, it's LOW carb not NO carb! :lol: