Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   So many carbs going to coffee (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476778)

Phantomess Sat, Apr-01-17 13:41

So many carbs going to coffee

I'm very picky about my coffee so I haven't changed the way I drink it but it's taking up so many carbs and it sucks! I drink 3 cups a day and the 3 bring me to 6.3 carbs! I use Splenda and half and half.

I'm thinking of trying to drink it without half and half, but it will be a challenge and I may end up having a few miserable mornings until I get used to it.

DeaB45 Sat, Apr-01-17 14:54

could you try using cream in place of half and half?

Phantomess Sat, Apr-01-17 15:04

I just looked it up and it's the same amount of carbs :(

deirdra Sat, Apr-01-17 15:41

Butter &/or coconut oil have fewer carbs and you don't need as much, ~1 tsp per cup instead of 1T of H&H.

kirkor Sat, Apr-01-17 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomess

No it's not:

mike_d Sat, Apr-01-17 22:00

Beware of hidden carbs in so-called "whipping cream" vs. regular cream has 0 carbs / "serving."

teaser Sun, Apr-02-17 05:30

By volume, there really isn't much difference between heavy cream and half and half when it comes to carbs per tablespoon, but you might find you can use a smaller volume of heavy cream. I use a tablespoon per cup (but it's an eating spoon, not a measuring spoon, that can differ, mine are only 2/3rds of a proper measured tablespoon).

I think there are sort of two concerns here, though. Atkins induction normally included restriction of cream, even heavy cream. But you can see that quite a bit of heavy cream could be included on a twenty grams or less of carbohydrate diet. Besides carbs, another problem with heavy cream is that the calories can add up fast. I once poured out a cup of heavy cream in the morning, to see how much I was using in my coffee through the day. I ran out before lunch time, 800+ calories--it's not all about the calories, but I do think that chaining caloric intake to something like caffeine can be a problem, you want to take in calories more because you're hungry, and less because that's how you happen to like your coffee. When I limited fat in my coffee, I was able to include more of it in my meals, making them more satisfying, and it helped me with weight loss.

One thing I do sometimes is to buy sugar free cashew or other nut "milk" and mix it half and half with heavy cream, that cuts carbs and calories considerably.

WereBear Sun, Apr-02-17 05:56

If you wish to change how you drink your coffee, start with cutting down the Splenda.

As we continue on low carb, our taste buds are no longer blunted by being assaulted by sugar on a daily basis. So things we never thought were sweet taste sweet to us.

I used to drink my coffee "light and sweet." And now all the sweetness I need is in the heavy cream. Good coffee, not much cream; it is more than sweet enough.

Just can't go to coffee with nothing in it: it's the richness and mouth feel of the cream that I like. But then again, I love intensely flavored teas with coconut oil: that also has the mouthfeel and richness.

You are becoming a new person. This new person will have different tastes.

Phantomess Sun, Apr-02-17 07:34

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your input. I just had a cup of coffee with butter and no Splenda. I had never heard of putting butter in your coffee, it seemed crazy lol! I'm going to try the next cup black and see how I like it.

I guess I forgot about limiting dairy on induction, thanks for the reminder!

Just Jo Sun, Apr-02-17 09:21

I don't do dairy but I do use unsweetened Almond milk... it has <1 carb per cup and 30 calories... makes a delicious cup of coffee, IMHO!

Robin120 Sun, Apr-02-17 10:18

Good advice above- another thought is to try cutting down to one cup a day just the way you like it now as a treat, and drinking the others without the add ins?

snatale1 Wed, Apr-05-17 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Beware of hidden carbs in so-called "whipping cream" vs. regular cream has 0 carbs / "serving."

Yup! it's the stabilizers they put in it.

snatale1 Wed, Apr-05-17 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomess

Makes no difference, Heavy Cream has a glycemic load of 0, while half and half has a glycemic load of 8. If your using Splenda use the liquid not the granular. The granular has .5g per tsp thanks to the maltodextrin and thanks to our crap USDA less than 1 = 0. Doesn't seem like much until you bake something that calls for a cup which has 24g! Done that one!

andante Thu, Apr-06-17 07:03

Coffee was one of my nonnegotiables . When I started, I actually had a very large latte with milk every day. Even on what I was calling induction... And I still lost 15 pounds in two weeks. At some point I decided to switch to regular coffee with whole cream, although it took me a while to get used to the different taste of cream versus milk. I now have two mugs of coffee a day with cream, and I have continued to lose weight. Of course we are all different, and some people are more sensitive to dairy than others. I know I would lose faster if I dumped the dairy altogether, but the cream substitutes just haven't worked for me. I am lucky that this indulgence has not affected my weight loss. I would be interested in trying a half and half mix of whole cream and a nut milk.