Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Question about bloating (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=299833)

waywardsis Fri, Jun-09-06 08:56

Question about bloating

I've searched for this topic but not found it yet, so 'scuse me if you've heard this one before.

I have been bloated for as long as I can remember. I'm not gassy though. My abdomen sticks out, not unlike the malnourished children you see on famine-relief/sponsorship ads. This isn't ALL the time, but most - I tend to hold it in, and when I release it's like WHOMP, there it is. Sometimes, it's just there, like I'm pregnant.

I am not that overweight either, maybe 10 pounds. It doesn't seem like it's just fat. It's like a beer gut - solid, with a layer of fat on it.

I am suspecting a food intolerence somewhere, although I don't really have any other symptoms. I do have a mould allergy, and hay fever. Used to have terrible bread/cracker/potato chip cravings, which have cleared up since lc-ing (thank god).

Anyway, if anyone has insight on this, my ears are open. ;)

Tracy

Josiemk Fri, Jun-09-06 09:08

Waywardsis,

Have you been eating sugar free candy? That does it to me.

Try drinking warm water w/ a squirt from real lemon slice. This always helps me.

Good luck

Nancy LC Fri, Jun-09-06 09:41

I had that bloating too. I found out I have several food intolerances and once I eliminated those foods from my diet my belly deflated. Whenever I back slide, my belly balloons out again.

For my, the foods are gluten, dairy and I think soy. Enterolab.com does food intolerance testing, you might look into that.

waywardsis Fri, Jun-09-06 14:08

Josiemk - I don't do artificial sweeteners, ever ever ever.

NancyLC - first of all...I LOVE your bunny pic! I'm not eating any wheat, that I know of anyway. I may try eliminating dairy, tho' I don't want to!! I'm in Canada, and there are places I can get tested here but it's super expensive.

Would I be having other symptoms though with food intolerance?

Nancy LC Fri, Jun-09-06 14:45

Quote:
Would I be having other symptoms though with food intolerance?

Potentially. Common ones include bloating, gas, constipation or dairrhea, brain fog, emotion distress, migraines, eczema, neurological issues like nerve damage, gait disorders, and others.

The worst offenders for food intolerances seem to be:

Wheat, dairy, soy, nuts/legumes, eggs, corn, rice

You could try a paleo diet for a couple of weeks and gradually add foods back in.

If it isn't food... could it be something else in the abdominal area? Ovarian cyst? Have you had an exam recently?

astari Fri, Jun-09-06 15:08

Have you seen a doctor to rule out any medical causes?

waywardsis Sat, Jun-10-06 08:12

I am *gasp* overdue for an exam. I've been bloated for years and years though, so I don't think it's anything like that...

I'm not eating wheat, corn, rice or nuts/legumes (as far as I know). I just realized that my salad dressings and mayo are made with soy oil, and I do eat a lot of eggs. But...

I am suspecting dairy, since I love it. I don't drink milk, really (used to) but I do have it or cream in my tea all day long. I drink a ton of tea. I also ADORE cheese with a passion that's deep and real. ;) I don' t recall ever going a day in my life without a dairy product of some kind: cheese, milk, yogurt, etc. So I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

What's a good length of time to omit a food and then reintroduce? Should I also avoid butter for now? (Please say no, please say no...)

cs_carver Sun, Jun-11-06 08:07

Tests weren't helpful for me

BTW: I had all the tests a while back, and they gave me some data, and my insurance company declined to pay (they allow $60 for testing, and the full panel was US1300) and I felt pretty much ripped off.

YMMV.

waywardsis Sun, Jun-11-06 12:03

I don't think these types of tests are covered here (by our gov't coverage), and I can't pay for it! I figure it's only bloating - I can test myself, right?

Josiemk Mon, Jun-12-06 11:06

Waywardsis ,

Do you have pain in the upper stomach. When I had gall stones, I had real bad bloating & pain in the upper belly.

Nancy LC Mon, Jun-12-06 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
What's a good length of time to omit a food and then reintroduce? Should I also avoid butter for now? (Please say no, please say no...)

LOL! I'd say 2 weeks should do it.

For butter, I would suggest getting or making ghee. That is basically butter with the milk proteins removed. They call it clarified butter sometimes too. You can easily find instructions on how to make it online. Very easy to do. It doesn't taste like butter, but it is quite yummy!

kebaldwin Tue, Jun-13-06 03:12

Quote:
It's like a beer gut - solid, with a layer of fat on it

Could it be muscle?

waywardsis Tue, Jun-13-06 11:04

Josiemk: nope, no pain. I've had this bloating since I was a teenager - around 15 or 16. Thought it was just how my tummy was. Now I am older and paying attention, I notice it's worse some days, better others. I was huge this morning, for some reason.

NancyLC - I may give the ghee a try. I totally lost my no-dairy motivation. I haven't had cheese (my weakness) but have been putting cream in my tea - and I drink at least a pot a day. That's a lotta cream. If I want to get to the bottom of this, I have to commit to dairy-free. 2 weeks won't kill me (it'll just suck)

kebaldwin: gawd, I hope not! It's the hugest muscle on my bod, if it is. Like J-Lo butt, but on my gut. Actually I do worry about that, since I am back lifting weights now, that it'll end up looking bigger/rounder. There used to be a trainer there whose ab muscles protruded, like a turtle shell sitting on his belly, and it was really creepy. (BTW, guys here call beer bellies "Molson muscle", LOL)

LisaS Tue, Jun-13-06 12:00

I don't want to scare you, but please get to a dr. and get anything serious ruled out. you don't want to have something in there that shouldn't be there and you want to make sure you aren't holding fluid in there.

Make sure you get a gyn checkup too - one of the reasons ov. cancer is such a killer is that seemingly benign symptoms like bloating & discomfort are often ignored and diagnosis delayed.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ov...0293/DSECTION=2

waywardsis Wed, Jun-14-06 10:43

Thanks Lisa - I have had this bloating for ever, through regular checkups. No discomfort - just my belly, jutting out into the mist.

Upon examination, my diet is pretty high in salt. Always has been - I am a salt fiend. Add it to everything. I just read something about salt causing water retention - could be the culprit. Going to try omitting salt as much as possible before I do the dairy thing (the dairy thing scares me!)