Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Crunchy Salty Oven Roasted Okra (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=417481)

FMN Tue, Sep-21-10 20:21

Crunchy Salty Oven Roasted Okra

I realize okra isn't the most popular veggie, but hear me out. :lol: Roasted in the oven, these pods are transformed into a delicious crunchy snack!

And it is so easy. There are lots of variations online, and I posted mine here:
Oven Roasted Okra

But basically, just sprinkle with a little oil (olive or coconut) and a little salt and/or any other seasoning you want, and roast at around 400 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes. Since it is still okra season around here, somebody else might be looking for a new way to use up some okra!

Laura W Wed, Sep-22-10 07:02

Do you think frozen would work? I have never seen fresh here and I am NOT a gardener!

bidisha Wed, Sep-22-10 07:56

this looks great..will try this weekend..
don't think will work well with frozen ones..

graciejean Wed, Sep-22-10 17:21

oh my goodness I got to do this. wow I love okra.

LCDavid Wed, Sep-22-10 17:43

I am going to try that tomorrow. I have Clemson Spineless in the garden now and have to pick them every other day or they get huge. One gallon size zip-lock bag every other day. Hard to even give away that much okra.
We normally eat okra by just steaming it for a few minutes, in fact it is part of my supper tonight.
Maybe this will be something I can grab when I just want to graze on something. Thanks,
David

Med1862 Wed, Sep-22-10 17:43

i love lightly breaded pan fried okra, im going to have to try this too, thanks!

FMN Thu, Sep-23-10 05:54

Great! Can't wait to hear what others think and how the recipe can be improved.

I had a pm from someone asking how this tasted, and I replied that the first thought I had when I took the first bite was remembering a really crispy potato chip or french fry that was almost overcooked. I am going to try them again today or tomorrow with coconut oil and maybe even some different spices.
And maybe cook them just a little less...

Also, if anyone tries it...It really doesn't take much oil at all. A few of mine seemed to absorb too much oil and were not crispy.

Laura, if you do try it with the frozen, I would try drying it in the oven on a low temp first, and then adding the oil and seasonings and cooking at the higher temp. And if that doesn't work, head down to LCDavid's and raid his garden!! :D

Laura W Thu, Sep-23-10 06:55

I think that drive might be a bit far for a bit of produce:) I do appreciate the suggeston, though.

LCDavid Thu, Sep-23-10 17:32

Ha ha, yes, please raid my garden, the okra pods are taking over.
I did pick okra today and baked them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little Tonys Chachere's creole seasoning. I preheated the oven on 350F (oops, 400F next time) and baked exactly 10 mins. The olive oil really gives them a good flavor, but I didn't use much oil because I wanted to keep the calories down. My eating plan is low carb with some thought toward limiting the amount of calories.
I thought they were really good, and I thank you for posting this idea FMN. I will certainly use this recipe many times for a quick snack.
Low carb, low calorie, plenty of micronutrients; just about perfect for a snack. A problem I have had before doing a low carb diet is finding quick snack foods when I want them.
I might try them on the grill also. Thank you.

Laura W, have you really lost 90lbs on a low carb diet? Wow! that's impressive. :agree:

KKSC2NC Thu, Jan-27-11 07:53

Love Love Love okra..thanks for a new way to try it!

graciejean Thu, Jan-27-11 19:50

I love okra any way you cook it,lol