Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Hiccups? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=143961)

tenorGJ Mon, Oct-20-03 11:58

Hiccups?

Does anyone seem to have more frequent hiccups on this WOE? I'm down 25 pounds, feel pretty good, and have begun OWL.

I drink vast quantities of water, take GNC supplements, etc...It just seems I get hiccups a couple times a day since I started. Not a problem, but interesting.

Anyone?

Lori H Mon, Oct-20-03 14:04

Nope. I haven't noticed a difference. Are you drinking your water out of a straw? Someone told me once that if you take in air that can cause hiccups. Don't have any idea if that is true but thought I'd mention it.

cc48510 Mon, Oct-20-03 16:06

No more than usual...I figured out a good way to get rid of 'em though...citrus [even half a lemon wedge (0.25g Net Carbs) seems to work] ends hiccups almost instantly [at least for me.] BTW, I know its not the Fructose...because cola [Pre-Atkins] didn't have the same effect.

Meg_S Mon, Oct-20-03 18:50

LOL I don't know if it's low carb, but I am the hiccup monster. It seems to run in the family though, all of my sisters and my mum have the same thing.

stella j Mon, Oct-20-03 20:41

Chello GJ. YES YES YES. WHOA. I almost forgot about posting this topic. I have had major hiccups. I wonder what the scientific reasoning for this is. Its strange. I am drinking tons of water, via straw and lips.. however I dont think thats why. I have always done that. I feel confident that its something in this WOL. I had a small thought that I think hiccups are a lack of air... and maybe the carbs presented air in our systems... ?? <shrug>> still unsure, just a thought.

AzureMoon Mon, Oct-20-03 21:04

A few nights ago my DH woke me in the middle of the night to tell me I was hiccupping in my sleep! They continued for a few minutes after that, but I've got to say that is a first.

My #1, fail-proof cure for hiccups is a sip of vinegar. Probably shocks your system back to normal :eek: but works every time.

stella j Mon, Oct-20-03 21:37

Kewl Azure. Thanks for the tip!

cpj Mon, Oct-20-03 22:01

This is so funny! I didn't even ask when I went through the hiccup stage because I thought I was a freak! My job entails talking on my phone and everyday, when I first started this WOE - several times a day - I had the hiccups! I'd be trying not to giggle when I hiccupped. I wondered if any of my customers thought I'd been drinking or something. I rarely ever had the hiccups before I started Atkins and don't have them anymore. They lasted about two to three weeks.

toni2002 Tue, Oct-21-03 08:08

i have hiccups as im reading this hehehehe :agree:

3rd time today

tenorGJ Tue, Oct-21-03 08:50

How bizarre! Well, I'm glad I brought this up...I thought I was out of the ordinary. I am so grateful for this board

My hiccups don't last long, it's just that they are much more frequent...

AzureMoon Tue, Oct-21-03 09:28

tenorGJ, down 37.5 already! You are doing fabulous!! Keep up the good work!

*hic* pardon me

tenorGJ Tue, Oct-21-03 10:15

Awww, gee, AzureMoon. Thanks! The greatest thing is no hunger! This is the first WOE that I think I can adhere to forever...

ichihuahua Tue, Oct-21-03 11:50

I've lost 25 lbs too, and yes, I keep getting the hiccups!

HEAVEN Tue, Oct-21-03 15:37

:yay: I am so glad to hear this. I had posted about 6 months ago about this very thing, but everyone who responded said no.
Azuremoon, I have been woke up from hicups too. LOL
hummm....Wonder what this is about.

Have ?'s Sun, Jul-08-18 10:49

Yes! Wondering why?