Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Going the Distance on LC (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=405979)

jellysoda Sun, Jan-10-10 17:39

Going the Distance on LC

Does anyone know about eating a low carb diet and distance running or biking? For example, have you heard of anyone doing LC and biking across country?

jschwab Sun, Jan-10-10 17:48

I have on here, but I think it was rumor. I don't think I every talked to that person directly. Everybody else eats targeted carbs. My husband runs on zero carb, but infrequently and his longest run has been only 7 miles and his longest race 5 miles. I distance run (not right now because I tore my ab muscle) and I can't do it, unfortunately.

Are you thinking about doing his kind of thing? A former roommmate attempted a cross country bike ride a few years back but got injured at Michigan (he started in Philly).

jellysoda Sun, Jan-10-10 18:06

my dad has enlisted my help in designing a diet for a cross country bike ride he will attempt next summer. i, of course, pointed him in the direction of mark sisson and the primal blueprint, thinking that eating tons of fat and protein would be both easily portable on a bike and provide enough calories to get him peddled through. however, i am reading all of this stuff online about how LC and distance biking is a TERRIBLE idea. they want you to eat as many grams carbs as possible. "eat snickers and mars bars," they say. seems like propaganda tho.

jellysoda Sun, Jan-10-10 18:11

ah, thanks to whoever moved the thread. i was looking for this section.

jschwab Sun, Jan-10-10 19:16

You definitely don't need Snickers bars. One place to start is Loren Cordain and Joe Friel's Paleo Diet for Athletes. On the Runner's World forums, there are tons of threads for marathons and ultrarunning on alternatives to crap food for fuel. Things like coconut water which has easily digestible carbs and electrolytes can be used instead of Gatorade for example. I drink that and mainline sea salt when I do long runs in the summer. I think it's amazing that your Dad is taking on this challenge! Ideas:

-Pemmican
-Coconut water
-Beef Jerky
-Chocolate sea salt almonds from Trader Joe's
-Hard boiled eggs (you can buy these in 7-11)
-Lara Bars
-Kombucha

Janine

jellysoda Mon, Jan-11-10 14:48

Yeah, I was thinking that pemmican would be the way to go. I will take a look at the Runner's World forums. Thanks for your help!

sybil878 Tue, Jan-12-10 14:24

I distance run/cycle on low carb, have been for about 8 months. I have found that it took me several months before my body adapted to intense exercise in ketosis for more than 2 hours and that I would crash hard without carbs. Now, I can do a 4 hour training run in ketosis with only taking in coconut oil chocolates or meat/protein shakes without any problems. When I race however I still carb load and things like gels really do give an extra boost (although the grains reek havoc on the digestive system). I do most of my training, except for my really long training runs, without carbs.

Depending on how long his bike is going to take him and what his goals are, a moderate carb plan might be the way to go.

robmedina Tue, Jan-12-10 14:55

i am insulin resistant so I can't exactly carb load- anyone successfully do distance running on low carbs?

robmedina Wed, Feb-17-10 05:44

Update on going the distance. Well let me preface this by saying I still have a large reserve of fat, so that being said. I find that I can run any distance without carbs. I plan on doing an 11 mile run this Sunday- will let you know how it goes.
The beautiful thing is that when I was carb loading, I would be so concerned about having enough energy. Did I eat enough? Will I have enough to finish? etc. Now I just go out and run, even if I had not had anything to eat in over 18 hours- because I know that my body is using the fat as fuel.
This would be indicative of how our ancestors would have done it as well. If they had consumed everything (food wise) the day before and had an unsuccessful hunt -they would be forced to go out and try and get food- and could have run many miles- albeit start- stop, but you get the picture.
Anyway- all going well so far LC.

jschwab Wed, Feb-17-10 09:30

robmedina, that is so inspiring! Thank you for posting.

ValerieL Wed, Feb-17-10 10:36

That's great. Just to add to the conversation, I find I can run forever on low carb as well. The only thing that is affected is my speed. If I don't care how fast I run, I can run with low-carb. When I start caring about my speed, I need carbs. I've settled into a 100-150g range of carbs in my daily diet and find it's enough to keep my happy with my speed & running.

Water Lily Wed, Feb-17-10 11:58

Have you read Mark's Daily Apple Blog? He has a lot of info that you might find useful.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

robmedina Wed, Feb-17-10 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
The only thing that is affected is my speed. If I don't care how fast I run, I can run with low-carb. When I start caring about my speed, I need carbs.

Thats weird, I am the opposite. I find that I run faster LC than before. For me, I think it has to do with not having that lactic acid burn (when you burn carbs for fuel)

jschwab Wed, Feb-17-10 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmedina
Thats weird, I am the opposite. I find that I run faster LC than before. For me, I think it has to do with not having that lactic acid burn (when you burn carbs for fuel)

I don't think that has anything to do with lactic acid. What do you mean?

jschwab Wed, Feb-17-10 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
That's great. Just to add to the conversation, I find I can run forever on low carb as well. The only thing that is affected is my speed. If I don't care how fast I run, I can run with low-carb. When I start caring about my speed, I need carbs. I've settled into a 100-150g range of carbs in my daily diet and find it's enough to keep my happy with my speed & running.

I'm so jealous. I gain over about 30 grams a day even when I am running 30 miles per week. Are you running alot, lot more than that or are you just very lucky. Our weight stats are not so different at the upper end.