Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kick Nicotine Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Has anyone quit smoking, and not gained?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=424973)

DeeCt Tue, Mar-15-11 18:26

Has anyone quit smoking, and not gained??

Hi everyone!!!

So Saturday night I had my last smoke!!!!! Things are going well, but I am so worried about gaining !! I know that should really be the last thing on my mind, but it's there.

Has anyone quit, and still lost?? I have had a hard time not munching on EVERYTHING the last few days.. all legal, but way too much :)

Thanks!
Dee

hysteria Tue, Mar-15-11 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCt
Hi everyone!!!

So Saturday night I had my last smoke!!!!! Things are going well, but I am so worried about gaining !! I know that should really be the last thing on my mind, but it's there.

Has anyone quit, and still lost?? I have had a hard time not munching on EVERYTHING the last few days.. all legal, but way too much :)

Thanks!
Dee

I quit in 2002 while I was still heavy & had not started LC yet. One thing that really helped was gum - s/f gum (Extra Polar Ice to be specific). I don't remember gaining a while lot b/c I substituted smokes with gum.

and, IMVHO, a couple #'s gained now (and hopefully you won't - stick with the LC foods!) in the end will be well-worth your long term health. I watched what cigarette-induced COPD/heart disease did to my mom and would never wish it on anyone!

tcalhoun1 Tue, Mar-15-11 19:14

I am 8 weeks smokefree (I'm on Chantix) and I've lost 30lbs.

I can honestly give credit to my success so far to the Chantix. I don't think about cigarettes, I don't crave them, I don't miss them... nothing!!!

At first, the only thing I missed was the habit... the action of doing something... not the actual cigarettes. Now after 2 months I feel like I've been a non smoker my whole life.

Good luck!

Tami

DeeCt Tue, Mar-15-11 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalhoun1
I am 8 weeks smokefree (I'm on Chantix) and I've lost 30lbs.

I can honestly give credit to my success so far to the Chantix. I don't think about cigarettes, I don't crave them, I don't miss them... nothing!!!

At first, the only thing I missed was the habit... the action of doing something... not the actual cigarettes. Now after 2 months I feel like I've been a non smoker my whole life.

Good luck!

Tami

I am using Chantix as well, and I feel the same as you!!! I am just missing the motion, not the smoke!! Glad to hear you still lost, make me feel better :)

tcalhoun1 Tue, Mar-15-11 20:35

If you are on Chantix then you should have no problem. At least I haven't. I don't have any side effects either. One very vivid dream at the beginning of week 2 but that was it.

I just started my 3rd month refill just to be on the safe side.

Once you get past the habit part then it is so easy from there.

Candiflip Tue, Mar-15-11 21:54

Yes actually I did.. I quit 4 years ago.. I just just lost some weight on another program(LAWeightloss) and was still doing program when I gave up smoking. I remembered my weight loss slow down a bit, but never gained any. It can be done :) Lots of luck to you!!!!

Intension Wed, Mar-16-11 09:22

I quit by using Alan Carr's "Easy Way" book. There's a chapter in there about eating/munching as a replacement for cigs, and he teaches you how to get around that. It worked for me and I didn't have any issues at all with snacking.

Neanderpam Wed, Mar-16-11 11:48

I quit smoking before I started lowcarbing. I had smoked (they called me 'Chimney') for 30 years. I used a patch the first two weeks and then that was it (Chantix wasn't available I don't thing at that time). I quit 12 years ago on April Fools day.

I used a forum at about.com on 'smoking cessation'. There is a wealth of information there! Including what is happening to your lungs at certain milestones (one day, three days, three months, etc.) that is fun to read. I also printed out (3 PAGES!) the list of chemicals contained in a cigarette and put it on my refrigerator for awhile.

I discovered after I quit that I had Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and quitting smoking made it easier for the doctor to treat me and replace my thyroid hormones.

Good for you for quitting!!! I wish you the best of luck in your quit journey. (and if you slip, don't quit quitting! My final quit was my seventh try).

albiorix Wed, Mar-16-11 17:26

hey there WELL DONE!!!!!!!

I quit (again) 4 weeks ago, I got one week of induction under my belt and realised that when I had CoQ10 I was less bothered about smoking in the mornings (and usually I don't speak unless I have at least 2).

so I quit cold turkey, and after 3 days I was fine. In the weeks since quitting (4) I have only lost 3.6lbs, but it is a loss, not a gain, so that is positive.

my top, top tip when I am feeling a craving is just to recognise it, and then relax into the craving: I find that most of my cravings are actually a slow build up of tension, and my body is really trying to prompt me to relax using it's learned mechanism - nicotine. once I had retrained it by conciously relaxing, deeply, any residual cravings are really quick to deal with - that and a swig of water never hurts.