Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   coconut oil? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=325833)

khayd1 Thu, Mar-01-07 11:21

coconut oil?

I have read on various posts that coconut is a good fat in general....especially for LC. ????? I checked at our local supermarket chain.....does not carry this one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

KvonM Thu, Mar-01-07 11:44

try a local health food store... not necessarily GNC (though they may carry it), but some of the locally-owned ones. some people also find it at wal-mart... i've never been so lucky.

the one thing you do want to look for is "extra virgin" coconut oil. it should be white, soft, slightly irridescently-marbled (i can't think of any other way to describe it), and very smooth. it'll melt at 76 degrees, and it goes back and forth from solid to liquid to solid without any problems breaking down.

Cissie_12 Thu, Mar-01-07 11:48

Have you looked at Wal-Mart? I get mine there in the cooking oil section. Lou-Ana is the brand they have in my area and it's in a white plastic container. Less than $3.00!!

khayd1 Thu, Mar-01-07 12:00

wonderful! I will take a look see. Thanks much! Kim :wave:

justlease Thu, Mar-01-07 17:21

If you have Whole Foods stores in your area they also carry several varieties of the virgin coconut oil.

khayd1 Thu, Mar-01-07 18:27

Well....I found some.....at local health food store. But, I am not sure what I will use it on.....just by itself I think it tastes rather nasty......kind of tastes like I am eating suntan lotion. Oh well...at least I have it. Thanks! Kim :lol:

bekkers Thu, Mar-01-07 19:29

try it in coffee with a little cream and splenda or hazelnut davinci syrup!

Cissie_12 Thu, Mar-01-07 19:32

you can also cook your eggs or whatever in it!

dolphinlov Thu, Mar-01-07 19:34

I also add it to mock danishes and bowl muffins

gryfonclaw Thu, Mar-01-07 20:48

Check out Tropicaltraditions.com That's where I buy mine.

LOL- It's funny.....I use more on my skin than in my food! It's done wonders for my face- no longer dried out.

Gotta get more into my diet though. I've really been slacking off in that area.

khayd1 Thu, Mar-01-07 21:02

in my coffee.....now that is one I would not have thought of! LOL. I shall give it a try in the morning! And....the eggs too! I guess since I thought it taste like suntan lotion....that I should cook my eggs sunny side up! :lol: Thanks! Kim

justlease Thu, Mar-01-07 22:42

I love it in coffee too. It's fabulous in chocolate hazelnut coffee---I feel like I'm drinking a Mounds bar. I just have to try not to look at it too much while I'm drinking it since it doesn't look especially appetizing---just tastes really good.

black57 Thu, Mar-01-07 23:44

The book The Coconut Miracle has many beginners recipes. One that I like especially is the smoothie. It is a coconut milk, berrie smoothie.

khayd1 Fri, Mar-02-07 05:05

well.....I am happy to report that I am having some coconut oil in my morning coffee....per your suggestions....and it is actually quite tasty! Since I am a beginner.....and have not had time to do much reading on this topic....how much is recommended on a daily basis to get the benefits of the oil? Thanks much! Kim

ojoj Fri, Mar-02-07 05:42

Chicken pieces fried in coconut oil is lovely, especially with mushrooms, a few sprigs of coriander and a pinch of curry powder

Jo