Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Our leftovers could be healthier ... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480594)

mike_d Sun, Jun-24-18 11:22

Our leftovers could be healthier ...

Quote:
Dr Chris van Tulleken:
[in our study] We found something that we really didn't expect - cooking, cooling and then reheating pasta had an even more dramatic effect. Or, to be precise, an even smaller effect on blood glucose spiking -- In fact, it reduced the rise in blood glucose by a further 50%.

This certainly suggests that reheating the pasta made it into an even more "resistant starch". It's an extraordinary result and one never measured before.

Denise is now going to continue her research - funded by Diabetes UK - looking at whether, even without other dietary modifications, adding resistant starch to the diet can improve some of the blood results associated with diabetes.
Not going to try pasta, but I did order some pure potato starch to see if it helps with some GI issues like constipation :(

There are many other benefits claimed as well, common on the internet for many things though:

http://www.gestaltreality.com/2014/...-concise-guide/

and

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/the...sistant-starch/

Meme#1 Sun, Jun-24-18 12:17

Yow much water are you drinking? Vegetables?

Ms Arielle Sun, Jun-24-18 17:09

Grandmother used potato starch to get the smell of puke out of her couch..... It has other uses????????

BillyHW Sun, Jun-24-18 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Grandmother used potato starch to get the smell of puke out of her couch..... It has other uses????????

Those must have been some great parties. :agree:

mike_d Mon, Jun-25-18 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
May be something to all the RS hype. Tried some baked plantain chips late last night, overslept for once, had dreams so real I could direct or control them just the way I wanted -- strange indeed. Never happened before. The dreams were derived mostly from things that happened that day, and every detail remembered still.

"Total Recall" -- LOL

s93uv3h Mon, Jun-25-18 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
May be something to all the RS hype. Tried some baked plantain chips late last night, overslept for once, had dreams so real I could direct or control them just the way I wanted -- strange indeed. Never happened before.
Strange reading this, as I had a few dream states where I knew I was awake, but my dreams continued, and like you experienced, I had some control, and I knew I was controlling it, to my script. It happened more than once, and always in the morning when I woke up.

I've got to try some plantain chips.

One think I learned from Dr. Michael Ruscio's Healthy Gut, Healthy You, which is all about the gut microbiome, is that if you have other health problems, maybe you should avoid prebiotics, as you could have SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth) - that this could exasperate the situation.

Ms Arielle Mon, Jun-25-18 11:25

As a child I could control my dreams... otherwise, our brain is supposed to be reprocessing the days activities over and over, as it truncates the events and puts it into memory. This is why sleep is vital to learning. The night is a rehash of what kids learned during the day.

BillyHW Mon, Jun-25-18 11:27

I don't trust these resistant starches. Why not just eat fermentable fibers?

s93uv3h Mon, Jun-25-18 12:31

Tried some fried plantain chips - I like them! I figured 18g of carbs for 1 oz, since I read

4-ounce bag means you take in more than 600 calories, 72 grams of carbohydrates

mike_d Mon, Jun-25-18 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Tried some fried plantain chips - I like them! I figured 18g of carbs for 1 oz, since I read
4-ounce bag means you take in more than 600 calories, 72 grams of carbohydrates
That sounds high, a whole one is ~42g

Baked mine: coat diagonal slices with olive or coconut oil, season if desired, then bake on a cookie sheet ~350*F -- 15 minutes on a side till browned :yum:
Can be stored in the fridge or eaten warm.

Storebought chips are likely made with vegetable oils and or ...

s93uv3h Wed, Jun-27-18 10:27

Quote:
That sounds high, a whole one is ~42g

Baked mine: coat diagonal slices with olive or coconut oil, season if desired, then bake on a cookie sheet ~350*F -- 15 minutes on a side till browned :yum:
Can be stored in the fridge or eaten warm.

Storebought chips are likely made with vegetable oils and or ...
I like 42g better!

I used this lady's recipe. Used the green plantains from the market, cooked in olive oil.

How to Make Crispy Plantain Chips

...5 min warm water soak, peal
...takes a couple of seconds to fry, as long as oil is heated
...salt while hot

Robin120 Wed, Jun-27-18 11:14

I had heard potatoes and pasta have a lower GI when cooked and cooled.

I highly highly recommend tiger nuts (they aren't actually a nut, but a tuber that was eaten during Paleolithic period. An ounce has 120 calories with 10g of fiber and 9 net carbs. An ounce will clear you out the next morning!
Typically i need one unit of insulin for 9 carbs, but with these i never had any additional dose. Maybe it's the resistant starch effect?
The brand i get is in a white bag at whole foods- gemini. :thup:

s93uv3h Wed, Jun-27-18 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
I had heard potatoes and pasta have a lower GI when cooked and cooled.

I highly highly recommend tiger nuts (they aren't actually a nut, but a tuber that was eaten during Paleolithic period. An ounce has 120 calories with 10g of fiber and 9 net carbs. An ounce will clear you out the next morning!
Typically i need one unit of insulin for 9 carbs, but with these i never had any additional dose. Maybe it's the resistant starch effect?The brand i get is in a white bag at whole foods- gemini. :thup:

Interesting. What do they taste like?

teaser Wed, Jun-27-18 13:02

Quote:
May be something to all the RS hype. Tried some baked plantain chips late last night, overslept for once, had dreams so real I could direct or control them just the way I wanted -- strange indeed. Never happened before. The dreams were derived mostly from things that happened that day, and every detail remembered still.

"Total Recall" -- LOL

Going from less ketogenic to more, I get a similar effect, more dreams or at least remembered dreams.

mike_d Wed, Jun-27-18 16:37

Never heard of "Tiger Nuts" ... yet another health hack to investigate , sheesh :)
Dr Axe didn't exactly give em the axe either. More RS plus increased Testosterone:

https://draxe.com/tiger-nuts/

Trying too many interventions at once -- bad science, but nothing else to do in the Summers down here :)