Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Demi's Workout Log (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=96135)

Demi Mon, Aug-11-03 14:56

Well my journey to a tight butt seems to have fallen by the wayside - however, as soon as this heatwave passes in the UK, I'll definitely be back here!

Watch this space ............ :lol:

Demi Mon, Oct-20-03 14:10

OK, time to get serious and get this journal up and working again !!

Went to my Pilates class this evening and had a very good session :thup:

I have also signed up for the Body Sculpt class, and it involves working with free weights in a class environment. It is very similar to Body Pump. My first class is tomorrow morning:eek:

There is also another class called 'Great Weighted', which is a combination of aerobics, strength and conditioning which shape and tone the whole body, and I am thinking of doing that as well. Though I won't start that one until I'm comfortable with doing Body Sculpt first :)

I have been walking, though not as much as I should be - the evenings are getting darker much earlier now, so I will be switching to morning walks for a while - have been thinking about getting the walking video that everyone talks about. Although American, I can order a copy though Amazon.

So ......... tight butt, here we come :thup: :D

Demi Tue, Oct-21-03 13:03

I have survived my first Body Sculpt class and, amazingly, I enjoyed it as well!

It was hard work, but I got through it quite well and the teacher was really pleased with my first attempt at the class. I wasn't stupid - I did what I could and rested when I couldn't, and felt such a great sense of achievement when I had finished. The teacher is brilliant and the class is very friendly

Although I could certainly feel my muscles screaming at various points, I didn't feel too bad at the end. Now, however, I am starting to feel it - so I will be having a nice long soak in a hot bath later.

There are a couple of other classes that I think I might try as well - Hips, Abs and Thighs (a combination of squats, lunges and floor work designed to target those specific areas), Supple Strength (a blend of stretch and strength moves inspired by Pilates and Yoga), and On the Ball (a class using a stability ball to improve strength and posture). There's also a dance class as well that I would like to take, but it clashes with one of the other classes unfortunately. However, if they start a new class at a different time, then I'd definitely do it :thup:

Tomorrow I'm planning to walk - although this will depend on how I'm feeling in the morning, I'm sure a brisk walk will help my aching muscles.

Demi Wed, Oct-22-03 12:55

Not feeling too bad today - I can 'feel' that I've had a good workout, but it's not as painful as I thought it might be.

Did not go for a walk as intended, as it has poured with rain all day:mad: - planning to go tomorrow though. Have ordered one of Leslie Sansone's videos so that I can walk indoors if I need to during the winter :thup:

Demi Tue, Oct-28-03 15:50

Had a good session at my Pilates class last night :thup:

This morning I went to my Body Sculpt class and had a good workout. I pushed myself a bit harder this week and was able to keep up with everyone for most of the time.

I did notice that I appear to have 'crunchy' shoulders, particularly the left one, as I lift the weights above my head - I'm wondering whether I should do something about it or just see if it gets better as I get used to the lifting.

My next class is on Thursday - Hips, Abs and Thighs - have also signed up for a Supple Strength class on Friday - it is apparently a blend of strength and stretch moves inspired by Pilates and Yoga.

Demi Thu, Oct-30-03 12:28

Went to my first Hips, Abs and Thighs class this morning :thup:

Not quite what I thought it would be - it turned out to be a mixture of aerobics, step, squats, lunges and crunches. But I did enjoy it :)

I thought that I was very unfit, but the instructor assured me after the class that I wasn't! I did push myself and can feel it now, but it's not too bad - I'm hoping a hot bath later will make sure that I'm not too stiff in the morning - especially as I have a Supple Strength class tomorrow.

Didn't notice any problems with my shoulders today - but then I wasn't lifting weights.

The class following today's was Tai Chi - I may stay for that next week, as it's something that I've always wanted to try and never have.

Demi Sun, Nov-02-03 15:21

The Hold it for the Holidays Challenge has begun. Here are my measurements (as of 2/11/03):

Chest (broadest part) - 39
Ribcage(under boobs, women only) - 34
waist, smallest measurement - 30
waist, at belly button - 36
high hip, 3 inches below belly button - 41
hip/rear - biggest part - 42
thigh - fullest part - 24*
thigh - 4" above knee - 21*
calf - widest part - 16.5*
ankle - 9*
wrist - across bone - 6.5*
forearm - biggest part - 10.5*
bicep - biggest part - 13*

* all left side measurements

Pics to follow shortly.

I had already challenged myself to lose 12lbs by the end of 2003 - I shall extend this to lose 18lbs by the end of January 2004 or at least a dress size.

Went to my first Supple Strenght class on Friday - really enjoyed it - great for stretching and lengthening.

There is a Deep Water Aqua class straight after, and I'm going to try that next week as well.

Demi Mon, Nov-03-03 14:40

OK, just had a great Pilates session :thup:

Our usual teacher has gone off to have a baby and will be on maternity leave until the end of January - so, we have a new teacher, and I have to say she was brilliant and I much prefer her teaching methods.

She is far more technical, but is very good at explaining what each move is and what it's about - and she makes each move flow into each other, rather than the usual switching about that our usual teacher does.

Each exercise/movement flowing into each other was how I was originally introduced to Pilates and it all makes much more sense to me. I'm not sure if she teaches any other classes at the club, but I'm going to find out because I would much rather be taught by her.

Demi Tue, Nov-04-03 08:18

Excellent Body Sculpt class this am :thup: I really pushed myself, and am also amazed how much more I can do in the space of 3 short weeks :)

The only problem I had was getting tired very quickly when I had to lift the weights beyond shoulder level - but I don't think it's too much of a problem - my arms are very weak and I should be able to do more as they strengthen.

The last couple of weeks we have worked mainly on the legs and arms - today we gave our waists a good work out too.

Demi Tue, Nov-04-03 08:25

As a record for the Hold it for the Holidays Challenge, and also as a record for myself, these are the classes I am attending on a weekly basis:

Monday: Pilates
Tuesday: Body Sculpt
Wednesday: Hips, Abs and Thighs
Thursday, Body Sculpt, Tai Chi
Friday: Supple Strength, Deep Water Aqua

I shall also be trying to walk at least 2 miles on a daily basis - this may be a problem during the week though because of the dark evenings, but will definitely do it as the weekends.

I also intend to work out on my fitness ball at home, as well as using my hand weights.

Demi Wed, Nov-05-03 06:03

Have just completed a 1.5 hour Hips, Abs and Thighs class:eek:

This is a different class from the one I did last week (Thursday) - I decided to swop classes to the Wednesday one because I wanted to do another Body Sculpt and the only one suitable for me was on a Thursday.

Very hard class today, but very enjoyable - same instructor as Supple Strength class on Fridays :thup:

Class included a 40 minute aerobic session - which I was able to keep up fairly well with, but will enjoy much more once I know what I am doing :rolleyes: - it's really just a question of learning the 'moves' rather like a dance routine, so it shouldn't take too long.

Used bands on the legs - looks easy, but OMG:eek: - she also had us squat down with our bums on our heels with knees turned out, then she asked us to walk forwards and backwards in this position:eek: - I think I managed about two 'steps' before I collapsed - so it can only get better:D

Had very shaky legs by the end of the class though, so sat and had a cup of coffee before driving home.

Feeling fine now, though I can feel that I've had a good workout, but will wait and see how I feel tomorrow - if I'm too stiff and sore I may miss out tomorrow's body sculpt class and just do the Tai Chi this once. I don't want to overdo things and end up injuring myself.

Demi Fri, Nov-07-03 02:29

Unfortunately, I was so stiff yesterday that I didn't make my body sculpt class or Tai Chi - I did manage to go out for a walk and that helped - still a bit stiff this morning, but will be going to my Supple Strength later this morning. Can't do the Deep Water Aqua today as I have to be somewhere else this afternoon, but have re-booked for next week.

Too be honest, it's probably just as well because I think I've overdone it a bit this week - I'm quite sore and stiff and very tired - I know that this change though as I progress - as I think I've said before, I can really feel a difference in what I can do after only 3 weeks of body sculpt classes.

Demi Mon, Nov-10-03 02:33

Good Supple Strength session on Friday - but glad that I wasn't doing Deep Water Aqua after it as I felt quite sore and tired.

Didn't do any exercise classes over the weekend, but did go for a 2.5 mile walk yesterday - despite the fact that the weather was not so good. Also got a lot done in the garden - pruning, clearing leaves etc etc.

Planning the following class this week:
Monday: Pilates
Tuesday: Body Sculpt
Wednesday: Hips, Abs, Thighs
Thursday, Body Sculpt - not sure if I will be doing Tai Chi as I might be going out to lunch with a friend
Friday: Supple Strength, Deep Water Aqua

Obviously if I'm finding it tough, then I'll cut out the Thursday Body Sculpt as I did last week.

Demi Mon, Nov-10-03 17:15

Good session at my Pilates class this evening :thup: There were several exercises that I was able to step up a level on this evening :)

I'm really beginning to notice the difference - particularly as we are now following a set movement routine, so it is easier to see and feel progress (rather than the jumping around all over the place routine, which the usual instructor seems to favour:mad: ). This new instructor is very good, and although she is covering for our usual instructors maternity leave, I'm hoping that she will stay on and teach her own classes when the other one returns. If not, then I'll ask her where else she teaches.

I ordered a Pilates Inter-active kit from Amazon a few days ago and it should arrive tomorrow - with the intention that I'll be able to do more at home - I have got a pilates DVD, but liked the look of the interactive kit better.

Demi Tue, Nov-11-03 16:48

Had my Body Sculpt class today - I worked out well, can 'feel' some improvement, though my shoulders and legs are sore tonight from lifting and squatting.

I think I'll be able to increase the weight of my hand weights in a couple of weeks and also add more weight to the bar when doing the leg work :thup:

The Pilates interactive kit has arrived - it has been devised by an American pilates instructor called Brooke Siler - it looks good - from beginner to immediate level - 70 flash cards showing each pose, with illustrations highlighting the important points, tips etc - 2 CDs with 8 sections with instructions and classes - once you've perfected the first, you move on to the next - and a workbook containing tips, background info etc - looks really good and I'm looking forward to trying it out - probably at the weekend because I'm really busy for the rest of the week and already have my exercise schedules booked and planned.